Goodbye, sweet Phil

Discussion in 'The Rainbow Bridge' started by Philsmom, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Philsmom

Philsmom Registered Users

Dear old Phil had been experiencing canine cognitive dysfunction for the past few months. He had lost control of his bowel and spent most of his days sleeping. I knew his time was coming, and was preparing myself for the pain and emptiness of my life without Phil in it. He didn't seem to be in pain and still enjoyed getting in the garbage lol.
    Saturday morning I was giving him love and noticed a lump on the side of his face. It was the size of a pingpong ball. I looked in his mouth and almost threw up. If ever there was a picture of cancer, that thing was it. It was very irregular in shape, and mostly black, with bits of bone in it. Just horrible.

The vet didn't open till Monday, so I spent Saturday and Sunday loving on him and put him on wet puppy food so he'd be able to eat better. By Monday, the lump was the size of a tennis ball and extremely disfiguring. Monday afternoon, we loaded Phil into the van for his last car ride. We stopped and got him a bacon cheeseburger and some cheesy fries with bacon. He was so happy to be going for a ride, and that junk food was the highlight of his whole life!

We got to the vet and he went in calmly, as he does everything. He lay down on the floor and put his head down. He didn't flinch when the needle went in. As the medicine entered his veins, he lifted his head and looked my husband in the eyes as he died. He gave one last thump of his tail and sailed over the bridge, with no fear or pain. After he died, the vet looked in his mouth and said that was absolutely cancer, and by the looks of it, had been growing in his jawbone for a long time. He said these things sometimes erupt overnight, so it's not unusual that it was just suddenly there with no previous signs. He also said that once they erupt, they are terribly painful. That made me feel a bit better, to know I was taking away that pain.

I am not sure how to live my life without my big lug. My dear old Uncle Phil lived with me for 18 months, one day, and four hours. I will never forget him and I will never regret bringing home an elderly dog. I remember the first day. We came home and he busted through the door like he owned the place. There was never an adjustment period - he fit right in from the beginning. He loved to play extremely slow games of fetch. He would dig himself a hole in the snow and lie in it, smelling the cold winter air. He loved his wading pool and the last month or two would spend a lot of time lying in that, watching the birds. He laid near me with his head on my feet, to let me know he was there.

When we brought his body home, our little dog Nightmare jumped into the van and licked Phil. Then he laid down with him and wouldn't get up. He needed to say goodbye to his old friend. Our other dogs weren't interested in what was happening, but Nightmare stayed with Phil until his body was buried, and then came in the house with me for a snuggle.

I never imagined I could love a dog so very much. Phil was extremely special, one in a million. As he died, I whispered into his old deaf ears - I loved you best.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, this has made my cry. What a sweet old boy, and all my heart goes out to you right now at this time. You did an amazing thing giving an old fella a chance at a real forever home. I bet that burger and fries was the best thing he'd ever tasted.

Big, inadequate hugs to you and everyone that Phil touched. He will clearly be missed and leave a big space in your lives x

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm so sorry it's such a sad time for you all and poor little Nightmare. You did a wonderful thing taking on an older dog and you gave Phil a wonderful home with lots of love and happiness which I can tell he gave back willingly. It's the hardest decision we make but the most important thing we can do for our dogs when the time comes. Take care and when you think of Phil remember the happy, fun times you had and let him make you smile again.

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

My sentiments entirely, thank you for sharing loads of hugs and kisses. Xxxx

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Very teary reading this, but what a lucky boy he was to have found you and to spend the last months of his life with someone who loved him and who he loved. I think we all loved what we read about him, he sounded an absolute darling.

As an aside, don't vets where you live have to provide a 24 hour service as they do here in the UK?

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Few tears here too...but a smile also at the wonderful life you gave old Phil in his twilight years. He must have thought he was already in heaven with that cheeseburger!
    Much love and hugs xx

7. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

I'm so sorry :(
    Run free Phil....

8. Peggy

Peggy Registered Users

It is a sad sad time when you lose a pet. My husband and I had to have our black lab called Monty put to sleep. He too had mouth cancer, we had four months extra with him from the time of diagnosis to the final end. He was still eating and drinking and also still enjoying his walks.however he did tire easily and would go off quietly on his own into the spare room and sleep. We too brought him home and buried him in our garden.it was a sad sad day. We have fond memories of him and still have lots of giggles at what he used to get up to.We have since got another lab Jack and he is four and indeed has filled a massive hole we thought impossible. We are also awaiting another pup,his niece. She has been born and we are going to see these 3 week old pups on Friday.just me and hubby first. Can't wait!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What a wonderful thing you did, giving Phil so much love towards the end of his life. Your post made me cry but also think what an incredibly lucky dog he was to have met you.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm in bits here. This has brought back the loss of my old boys so keenly. Dear Phil - it was his lucky day when you walked into the shelter and saw him. Thank you so much for what you did for him. I can't imagine his confusion and hurt in the shelter - and you rescued him and gave him love and dignity, right to the last loving kind thing you did for him.

You won't forget him - and we here on the forum won't either, as his story touched us all.

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Could you post a couple of photos, for our new members? And for me, I'd love to see him again.

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Bless your dear old Phil, you gave him a wonderful life and a dignified end, my thoughts are with you and yours x

13. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

That's very sad, I empathise. Poor old boy.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Tears rolling down my face ,I don't have any words to say that can help lift the sadness you will feel right now.Phil ( Dr Old x) and his rescue story touched us all .I can remember you introducing us to him and that wonderful video of him playing in your house ,so settled,happy and safe x
    What a wonderful thing you did to give him his final days in your care,I will never forget him and the impact he had on me,God bless you for your kindness and thankyou for taking the time to come by and tell us so compassionately.
    Best wishes
    Angela xxxx

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

So sorry for what you're going through. Phil was clearly a very special boy.

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Our dear Dr. Old.... He was a lovely dog and you are a lovely person. So glad you found eachother. He will always be in your heart, and in ours. Hugs to you.

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That must have been so difficult for you to write......I too was in tears reading it.
    Bless you for your care of the oldies.
    Have fun over the bridge, Dr Old xxxxx

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sad :( But so wonderful that he had a loving last 18 months. He was a gem. Bye Dr Old, we'll always remember you even though we never met.

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So, so sad. You gave him a wonderful time and much love in his final months. Thank you for sharing such a difficult time.

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So very sad Lots of tears reading this.
    Phil probably had the best 18 months of his life with you. I bet he enjoyed the burger and chips.
    RIP Phil - run free over the rainbow bridge x