GPS Tags for tracking your dog

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by Tug@myheart, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Tug@myheart

Tug@myheart Registered Users

Hi,
    I'm curious about the results of dog tags with GPS for our dogs. Being a lab I'm also concerned with it bring waterproof. Would love to hear what you have to say. Which brand has been good or bad and is it waterproof?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry never used one. Never felt its necessary. I think it would have to a very tough and extremely water proof one for my guys:)

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My dogs are never out of my sight, so there's no need.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

5. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I think what brand you buy depends on why you want one. Do you just want to track the distance your dog walks or does he/she run away either chasing or because they are scared of something?

I thought about this when my boy would run off. But from the reviews I read, it sounded like they are unreliable if they are in places with poor coverage, which is the sort of place a dog might run off. I might be wrong, but I think you also have to pay a monthly fee for the SIM card.

If you do decide to get one, I'm pretty sure there were waterproof ones available. I was really amazed by the different functions they have, some can send you a warning if your dog leaves a certain zone, some track heart rate, or have a speaker so you can communicate remotely.

I didn't buy one because I decided it wasn't worth it. I used a 10m lead so I had a back up in case he did that freeze, ears forward. When your gut sinks because you know they are about to launch off at full speed!

6. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Sorry never really thought about using one, I've always worked on a good recall and she is very rarely out of my sight.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I've never used one or thought about it. They are very expensive and recall is far better and free. I do know a man where I live that uses one on his absconding labrador which doesn't help the dog come back. The owner goes home gets his car and drives to collect his dog according to the tracker location, that's if he hasn't already run off again which is what he normally does for hours. :rolleyes:

8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I investigated the trackers at one time to use them with cats but overall decided they were an expensive toy which was not guaranteed to work when needed to locate at distance. For dogs I would always advise train a good, reliable recall and manage the distance that you allow your dog to be away from you.

9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Check those tags carefully. One that pops up in ads here only works within about 100 feet (less than my backyard) and only works if people nearby have the app on their phone and it's turned on.

The expensive garmin type ones did once get a coonhound back for a friend when the farmer whose barn she went into tried to keep her. I looked them up, around $600 here. They are a collar, the box on it makes it look like an e-collar.

10. ohthatcat

ohthatcat Registered Users

I actually heard that Google is coming out with a chip for pets in a few months. I'll be getting that one for Mindy at the time of her spay!

11. Lily Garcia

Lily Garcia Registered Users

I know a tracker that has many good ratings. It's even water proof.