Grain-Free Kibble?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MARTIN SADOWSKI, Nov 21, 2020.

1. MARTIN SADOWSKI

MARTIN SADOWSKI Registered Users

So I started my rescue pup(shes a lab mix, but looks to be mostly black lab) on Fromm puppy since that is what she was on at the shelter. Since, she's sort of not been too keen on eating it(Shes about 14 weeks now).

Since then, I've switched over to the Kirkland Nature's Domain Puppy Grain-Free variety(the blue bag), which is Chicken and Pea's. It had great reviews online, but then when doing research I discovered that grain-free diets could lead to DCM.

She seems to love the Costco brand much more than Fromm, and finishes every portion I give her. It's also got a lower calorie count, which I prefer(420/cup vs. 340/cup).

My vet says it's okay to feed her a grain-free kibble as long as I introduce grains into her diet through treats and other methods. Still....I'm a tad paranoid. Unfortunately my costco doesn't carry the grain variety(yellow bag) of puppy food by natures domain. Should I be worried about DCM and switch her over to a different brand? Or am I just being paranoid over things right now?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum!

As you've discovered, the impact of grain free diets on canine heart health is a hot topic of research right now. The concern is that grain free diets are linked with taurine deficiency, which predisposes dogs to heart disease. However, studies are producing mixed results at the moment, so it seems the matter is far from concluded.

One good rule of thumb is to stick to diets which have been approved by the AAFCO, which means they are nutritionally complete.

And another good rule of thumb is to trust what your vet says :)