Grain in dry food - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Lara, Sep 30, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't have all the answers, I can't say that grain-free isn't better for dogs, but nor can I find any evidence that proves that to be true :)

selina27 likes this.
  2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I would recommend reading Dog Food Logic by Linda P Case who discusses 'grain free' and it's marketing in numerous essays which are based upon scientific study.

Very few dogs have allergies to grain - one of the main reasons we are encouraged to buy grain free. Chicken is a common allergen in dogs.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Like @Boogie I feed Skinners , but the duck and rice as its lower fat and Sam cant tolerate much fat . No added nasties , absolutely ideal, for him . I add , for him, because what suits one dog maybe wont suit another , its all about finding a decent food that suits the dog and the pocket !

snowbunny, SwampDonkey and edzbird like this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

This is exactly it.

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I look at ingredients in a number of ways..firstly what are the top 5 ingredients? How many different protein sources are used in the ingredient list? Eg beef, chicken, salmon, duck...thirdly how novel are these protein sources? Are they a commonly used protein source? Chicken and beef vs venison for example. Finally, where is the protein sourced from. I then consider my dogs, what do they in terms of total calorific values, protein and fat content.

Here are a few examples...:)
    • Fresh duck (55%) : high quality source of animal protein.
    • Potatoes (24%) : an easily digested carbohydrate.
    • Peas (10%) : added protein and fibre source.
    • Sugar beet pulp (1%) : a natural blend of digestible and indigestible fibres promoting intestinal health.
    • Duck fat (3%) : a high quality extremely palatable fat.

2. Whole rice (40%), duck meat meal (20%), naked oats, peas, whole linseed, sunflower oil, beet pulp, vitamins and minerals.

3 Freshly prepared Lamb (20%), freshly prepared duck (20%), dried duck (18%), sweet potato, potato, dried lamb (5%), dried rabbit (3%)

4 Freshly Prepared Salmon (46%), Dried Salmon (18%), Potato, Sweet Potato, Tapioca, Chick Pea Flour, Salmon Oil (5%), Pea Fibre, Lucerne, Salmon Stock (1%), Vitamins, Minerals, Dried Apple, Dried Carrot, Lovage Powder, Aniseed, Fenugreek, Seaweed

5. Ground Whole Grain Corn, Meat And Bone Meal (Source Of Calcium), Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Source Of Omega 6 [Preserved With Bha & Citric Acid]), Soybean Meal

Four of the above I would consider...one certainly not! :)