Grieving dog?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by chrisshields, Jul 7, 2014.

1. chrisshields

chrisshields Registered Users

I have had 2 chocolate labradors for over six years. Unfortunately, one of them passed away last week unexpectedly. Since then, my other dog has been behaving erratically, very jumpy and seemingly anxious. She's also not eating much? Could this be grief?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Re: Grieving dog?

I had a Newfie who lost his best girl. They had never been apart. He really went downhill when she died, almost depressed. I thought he would die of a broken heart. We gave in an got another pup. He fell in love again and was bright as a bobbin. I really believe animals do grieve so give your dog lots of love and time. :)

3. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

When my grandad passed away his spaniel used to sit with one paw on his chair the same way she would when he was there. I think dogs definitely grieve for their loved ones. I hope she starts to come around. Plenty of love and affection should help you both through it xxx

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I can't really add anything from experience, just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss :(

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I have no experience of this so I can't give practical advice I'm afraid. :(

It's so sad for your dog and you. I hope she starts feeling better soon. Perhaps extra walks and play so she gets used to it being just her and you. She will have bonded with her pal possibly more than she bonded with you if you got them together as pups. Maybe bonding with you again will help.

Good luck.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your lab, hope time heals with the other one x

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm so sorry that you lost your dog, and I feel for your remaining dog too. I definitely think that some dogs grieve.

Extra attention, cuddles, outings and treats might help. It's a terribly sad time for both of you :(

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

So sorry about the unexpected death of your beloved dog. I had two dogs, one died and the one left became very depressed, so I bought a puppy and she became happy again. They do grieve.

9. chrisshields

chrisshields Registered Users

Thank you all for your helpful and compassionate replies xx

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

They definitely grieve - but with extra attention from you she should be ok again soon.

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So sorry to her of your loss.

I had Gavin and Callum (Cavaliers) for 15 years. Gavin was very slow and unresponsive after Callum died. I'm sure he was missing him.

We got pupster Tatze and he had a new lease of life. Tatze very quickly learned that he couldn't play due to his old bones - and he taught her how to speak 'DOG' really well.

[​IMG]

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear you lost your much loved dog. :'(

I'm sure dogs grieve. I hope you find a way to help each other through a sad time. Best wishes to you.

13. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Very sorry for your loss - I do hope your dog is back to her old self soon.

14. sussex

sussex Registered Users

so sorry you have lost your dog take it easy dont try to do too much at first give yourself time to think things over about getting another dog