Growling.....????

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jennyann, Jul 11, 2013.

1. jennyann

jennyann Registered Users

So, my lovely natured girl just growled at me! I'm scared of dogs (hence getting a puppy so I could get used to it) and its really thrown me. I didn't dream she'd ever growl at me - she has such a lovely docile nature.

So here's the context....food....I fed her and my cat was trying to steal her food. She barked at the cat and I bent down to move her bowl to a different spot - not thinking about it. She adopted a quite stiff stance and growled at me. I got such a shock I tapped her nose (harder than I have before but I think I got such a fright it was a spontaneous reaction) and I took her good away and told her off. I made her sit and wait before giving it back.

Help!!! It's made me a bit scared of her! I need to nip this in the bud for her, my and my kids sake.

What do I need to do??? I can be more prepared next time.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Growling.....????

I`ve been very lucky and only ever had this happen with one dog many years ago . I know its scarey and lots of people say its wrong for them to object , but when you think about it , we wouldnt be well pleased if someone tried to take our meal away whilst we were eating it ;) I know that you were only moving the dish but she would see this in the context of having a meal taken away from her , dont worry too much as many very good natured dogs react this way , we have to make sure that everyone in the family understands and respects her right to eat her meal in peace so I would feed her away from all people ( and cats ) :) I truly wouldnt worry too much , she is protecting her food, thats all .
    She will definately pick up on your stress and anxiety so if you really feel its important that she doesnt do this , relax , nice and calm and just touch her as she eats,just for a second , but personally I wouldnt bother .

3. jennyann

Kate - so you don't think it means anything? But I'm worried as I have kids and lots other kids visit the house. I'm worrying she's gonna bite them???! I know I'm prob being a bit irrational but it's triggered my dog phobia so I need to have a plan!

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

So sorry if I seemed to trivialise this Jenny , I didnt mean to and i can understand you being upset, especially as you arent used to dogs at all . It usually is just a very gentle warning, but read Pippas article, its bound to help and try not to upset yourself too much , it doesnt mean that she is aggressive x

6. jennyann

Thanks Kate, I know I'm being irrational but I'm imagining all sorts!! I'll read the article now....thanks Pippa x