Halti update

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, Jul 13, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Halti update

jade jasper didnt like the halti, put him a collar on and take a lead with you so you will be able to get her on the lead quick :)

2. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I hope she will wear it because my MIL cant walk Amy now as she is too strong for her. She will heel off lead and on the way home so she is getting the idea. just so excited on the way. Now boys are back to school I will take her for short on lead walks different times of day. (but not today, I am still wet from school run, vet trip and the a doggy walk LOL)

3. lynnelogan

i have just been out and i am soaked,.....do you go on the same walks every day

4. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

We can leave in any 3 directions from our house but lots off different ways after that. Boys like choosing left or right, but always seem to end up at the park! ;D

5. lynnelogan

i like to confuse jasper , when we was walking the same route he knew we was heading for a run, so was pulling to get there, now we go different walks so he never knows where we are going :)

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi all

I changed my 2 from a halti to a gentle leader.

I found because the halti slackens and tightens it rode up under Scott's eye and rubbed a bald patch. Scouts was fine I think it was because Scott likes to walk slightly ahead of Scout that it happened.

I found the gentle leader a lot better. They are more static the nose band only slackens to where you set the clasp which is so you can pull the nose band to the end of their nose but not off. Also I think they are more comfortable for the dogs because they don't move. They hardly ever rub their nose with the gentle leader whereas with the halti every so often I'd get head butted in the back of the knee while they rubbed. Not easy to walk when they both did it ! ! ;D

7. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Well, second walk didnt go well! Totally my fault for rushing ahead. I took her out at 630 which was such a bad idea as this is her "silly" time of day anyway. Jumping up, pawing the lead and the halti was getting in get mouth?? Why was that happening? :eek:

8. lynnelogan

jasper did exactly the same with the halti , he was rolling over biting at the lead i was traumatised with it,.....think we only used it about 5 times ???

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I found the Gencon all in one was the best, doesn't ride up and easy to put on and take off.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I might be the last person qualified to offer advice, with my trials of lead walking a couple of weeks ago!

But I still think (now I've got over my main troubles - but no doubt more are round the corner ::)) that the bet way is to teach lead walking without the lead...well, it (eventually) worked for me...took dumbo inexperienced me about 3 months though!

I used this:

http://totallygundogs.com/first-steps-in-heelwork/

11. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I know, but I need to lead walk her to a place where I can get her off the lead. She does heel without the lead.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, wrong link anyway: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=409

Can you drive her to an off lead place?

I didn't have pulling on lead once I'd clicker trained walking nicely off lead - the opposite, in fact, I had lagging behind (which although I found a bit traumatic, only ended up taking a week or so to solve).

Um...Does she pull when you are not heading to the place where she gets to be off lead?

13. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

How have I not seen this article before? Thank you. Which word do you use? She tries to pull everywhere until we walking home, or she tired.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, pulling and labradors is something we all have to struggle with it seems...

What word? To command walk to heel you mean? I use "walk" rather than "heel" - only because I was told to use that at puppy school.

15. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Yeah, to get him to heel. Operation no pulling will begin tomorrow!

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good luck! It's worth the effort - I've only had problem free loose lead for a week or so, but have enjoyed every second of it (famous last words from me...Charlie will probably turn into a steam engine tomorrow...).