Hard of hearing ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Apr 23, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Wondering if any one has dealt with deaf or partially deaf dogs ? Not dogs who have gone deaf in old age, but dogs with hearing problems as youngsters ? Its our little Nell , we both ( and other members of family ) have noted that she is unreactive to noise . I did some testing with her yesterday , waiting for her to become engrossed in her potterings in the garden , then squeaked a toy , nothing at all . I then moved to Sams whistle , and only when I blasted it very loudly did she notice it but seemed confused as to where the sound had come from . If Nell sees us , she will run to us, but if she doesn't see us , she doesn't respond to calls . There are three possibilities : a) she has a hearing problem , b) she was in the way and ignored where she lived before and so doesn't know how to interact , or c) selective deafness ! . I am waiting for her health records to be sent from her previous Vet to mine , I found her previous Vet by some sterling detective work ! There may just be a clue in her records , I hope so as I hope that this is not a hearing problem , but have that little nagging feeling that it is . She never flinched when I started the petrol lawnmower up , she didn't have a proper garden before so she cant be used to the noise, but she didn't even look up . If it is hearing , then training will be a challenge , but I will do it, if it kills me ! x We used to joke that when Millies eyesight became compromised , Sam was her very own guide dog , now he can change outfit to a hearing dog for the deaf , bless them both x

MF likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What's she like with the hoover, TV, radio? I suppose blowing the whistle might just be an unusual sound to her, maybe?. She might just be a completely chilled out little girl. Lets hope her records solve the problem. Whatever it is, you are wonder woman so it won't prove any challenge to you Kate :) xx

3. kateincornwall

Doesn't react to the hoover, radio, tv , nothing ! I`m just hoping its because she isn't used to interaction , but ............ I`m not wonder woman Helen , just an old lady who has lived !

charlie likes this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's odd, because she came from a family so presumably all the usual household cleaning gadgets and noise etc. Old - NEVER, experienced - yes xx

kateincornwall likes this.
  5. kateincornwall

Exactly , apart from the lawn mower , she has surely heard all the sounds before , so surely the previous owner must have had some suspicions ? Having said that , Nell had become a nuisance , I don't think she had regular walks because her back end muscles were rubbish , so maybe it is just a lack of interaction experience , we shall see in the passage of time x

charlie likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Whatever it is Kate, Nell has slotted in to your family perfectly, and I know you won't let it get in the way of your life together!

kateincornwall and charlie like this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

I remember once hearing that hearing tests on babies used to be done with two pot lids (must've been my mother's generation!). A great clang behind the baby to see if they flinched. Well, it's hardly any good with Snowie - we were at friends and their child's drum set crashed to the ground next to him and he just lay there - true gun dog! But perhaps it could give you a clue with dear little Nell?

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

If she is partially deaf, I have no doubt you will deal with it brilliantly. And as for Nell, she won't be feeling sorry for herself because it's all she's known and well...dogs just do feel sorry for themselves. I wouldn't rule out the selective hearing theory, though... I've sure known a few dogs who had that in spades. :D

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

You could look up distraction testing for dogs. There are some charities that rehome only deaf dogs too they could give you pointers.I know a deaf dog he's fine his owners just do things how you would imagine visually. Moo has been deaf for sometime now and she copes so well. If you suspect she is she probabley is but also as you say if she's been ignored she may just be a bit switched off

10. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Hm does she react to someone ringing the door bell or knocking at the door? This my little Odie off:rolleyes:

Definitely will be nice to have her previous vet records. But she definitely is in great hands now no matter the circumstance!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor wee mite.
    Although its true she either knows no different, or will adjust.
    Does she respond to a flash of a torch in the dark? Just out of curiosity. I mean respond better to visual "call" than an audio one?

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yeah, I was going to suggest using a torch flash as a marker (like you'd use a clicker). A small LED pen torch or something that you can carry with you.

You can just use big, distinct hand signals for cues (like arms up in a big Y or V shape for a recall).

Certainly sounds like a hearing issue, doesn't it. But it's not seeming to be a hindrance to her :)

13. SwampDonkey

The people who I know with a deaf dog have a collar which vibrates to get his attention . When the collar vibrates he knows to look at them

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hopefully the vet records will tell you something! Seems like there is something physical going on, I would say. Interesting about the vibrating collar idea!

15. kateincornwall

Yes, she adores torchlight , and shadows , very responsive to both so a light type signal would probably work well ! She doesn't respond to the doorbell at all , or any sudden noise . Her records should be with our Vet this week , but the reassuring thing is that she is a very happy little dog , so whatever is causing the indifference to sound , it isn't bothering her one little jot . I bought a long training line , can drop the end of it to give her a little more freedom and her little legs cant go that quickly so she is safe, bless her x

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Awww I bet little Nell is literally feeling like the luckiest dog in the world with your family, Kate. Proper landed on her little paws x

20180815 likes this.
  17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If she is deaf or hard of hearing, as you suspect, I'd be very tempted to use a vibrating collar. Obviously, as you would, only associating it with positive things (pointed out for the benefit of people who may think I'm advocating using the vibrating setting on a shock collar as being acceptable, once you've done the initial "training" with the shock. I'm not - that's awful).

Having a way of giving her a cue, especially a recall, when she's facing away from you is invaluable, I think. And you could use different pulse patterns to mean different things, like we do with a whistle. It could be a fun challenge :)

Karen likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

Yep you can just use vibrate on different settings. I was considering one for monster moo but I've taught her to return to me if she turns and looks. Every time she looks at me she gets something nice it's working well, and being an old dear she's just not fast on her snowy little feet. A friend was amazed at the amount of eye contact she gives now, she did before but it's loads now

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  19. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well Kate I am sure you will cope what ever it is. When my old dog went deaf, he use to check in with me and if I wanted him to come back, I use to place my right hand on my left shoulder and he would come running. I only let him off lead on enclosed fields, but like you said Nell only has little legs :D The vibrating collar is a wonderful idea.

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

We will have to call you Miss Marple :D