Hard of Hearing?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by charlie, Dec 12, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Over the past few months I have noticed that when I have Hattie in a sit/wait I walk/run about 50 feet away from her and blow my recall whistle she doesn't always hear it and I have to turn round and hold my arms out then she returns. I tried again today, no wind to affect the sound of the whistle. I haven't noticed any real problems when she is infront of me and I recall her to whistle or verbally. She has had a few ear infections and one a couple of weeks ago, I keep her ears clean and flush them once a week as directed by the vet but then I have always done this. Could she be becoming hard of hearing, she is 6 years old? I know this may sound strange but she has been tripping up too. I am probably just being silly :(

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Hard of Hearing?

It could be that she is not 'on the whistle'. That means she is responding to other usually visual cues and not the whistle command. Sometime we the handlers are not even aware we are giving these cues. Try and walk a way from her just 10 yards or so and turn your back on her and keep your hands quietly by your side. Now blow your recall whistle. That would be a good test to see if your dog is actually on the whistle. :)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh great thanks Heidrun, I will do that and see how she responds :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've noticed with Poppy Helen that she doesn't always return just to the whistle; she expects us to put our arms out to the sides for a recall. We are 're-training' so that she comes just to the whistle. Hope Hattie's hearing is ok, and that the tripping isn't anything to worry about.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

At least I'm not alone, are you using the same technique that Heidrun recommended? I hope the tripping up is nothing to worry about, she doesn't fall down or anything, maybe her big fluffy paws get caught on things ???

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

As per Heidrun's suggestion I have been practising this method but without success. I get Hattie to sit at stiles, I climb over walk 10 yards blow my recall and she does not come unless I turn round and put my arms out or verbally recall her or she will just sit there not moving ::) She has only responded a couple of times so I am not sure what I am doing wrong :( She has no problem recalling from a sit/wait when I am facing her. Any more suggestions? Thank you :)

7. heidrun

She is relying on other cues than just the whistle which is very common. What can I say, more training on the whistle recall is needed. :D Start with simple recalls facing her but be aware of what other cues you might be giving her. Keep your hands by your side and don't use any verbal commands. :)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I did do all that you have suggested Heidrun but she still just remains in a sit. I will keep going :) Thank you

9. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Would it work if you re-established that link between the whistle and running towards you, by only blowing your recall whistle for a while when she is already running to you?? Don't blow it at any other time. If you try and test her and the more she ignores it, then as you know she will unfortunately just learn to ignore it... We went through a phase when I realised Brew was picking up on other clues - she was running when she saw my hand move to the whistle. Solved this by walking round the field with whistle in my mouth most of the time - and I know this makes me sound like a complete wimp, but it made me feel really sick for a while until I got used to it!!! ??? When you are sure Hattie is responding to the whistle, room-to-room recalls in the house are brilliant , because you cannot inadvertently give her any visual clues when she cannot see you. I also use the whistle to call her in from the garden too... It does mean I am now permanently wearing my whistle, but setting up opportunities for recall within the house was just too difficult. If I went to pick up my whistle, she was ready and waiting. Now I can seize an opportunity whenever it arises.

I'm assuming you have ruled out any suggestion of hearing loss?
    Clare

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Clare, my initial thoughts were hearing loss, but she hears the whistle when I recall her out on a walk and even off a chase or an iminent chase. It just seems to be when my turn my back on her.

I never ever repeat my recall whistle which is why I have to resort to verbal recalling or she will literally just sit until I do something ::) Maybe I should just keep walking and praise/treat her if she eventually decides to join me :-\

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Helen, this may sound daft, but does it matter if Hattie only comes to you when you whistle and put your arms out? If you are sure that she is hearing ok, and this is what you have been doing all along, why do you suddenly feel the need to change? Just thinking, with all the training you are going through with Charlie on a constant basis, perhaps you don't need another thing to worry about as well… Be kind to yourself! :)

12. heidrun

Was going to say the same. In the great scheme of things, does it really matter? If you can recall her even when out of sight and in mid chase, then that would be plenty good enough for me. :D ;)

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Karen and heidrun, oh thank you so very much for saying that :), my news years resolution has failed already :( - to stop thinking I have to train EVERYTHING and perfectly ::) I must admit considering I have only been training Hattie to the whistle since September 2013 she is pretty good at responding, really proud of her :)

- CHARLIE are you listening? :eek:

xxxx :) relax Helen xxxx

14. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would agree with all the above. I had to resort to getting my son to video me sending the dogs out one at a time as they would both always go together. Only on the video did I see a tiny twitch of my hand as I sent them out by name and they were both responding to this tiny hand twitch instead of the individual verbal cue. I reckon all my dogs have always responded better to hand signals than whistle/voice commands anyway and I suppose when we consider how important body language is to them to communicate with each other we shouldn't really be surprised.