Harley's labradorishness (new word)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Harley Quinn, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I am very aware of our rules on the forum and I am not asking for conformation of Harley's breed. This is more of a bit of a vent. Because I don't know if I have something wrong with the way I see her but she looks like a labrador to me. But I am often asked "Oh, is she a labrador", or "What breed is she" usually followed by "She is small, isn't she". Now Harley is a lovely medium size, in fact she is taller than two of the other yellow labs at the dog club AND they look like they could have been from the same litter. I asked, they aren't. But honestly. What do people think she is? A German Sherpard? A Border Collie? It isn't like they ask if she is mixed with a lab, I wouldn't be at all offended at that question. I think lab mixes are a lovely combo with almost anything barr Yorkshire terriers and possibly JRT. And Dachshunds (just too weird). But I know a Corgi/Lab and it is adorable.
    I must say that it is never anyone from the dog club, but generally when we are out and about and at the vet (we go often to weigh her).
    And I am just a bit grumpy, I have a cold, and I am watching Harley snore on the bed, and I am just wondering if I need to have my eyes checked :)

drjs@5, Jes72, Granca and 2 others like this.
  2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh how I feel your pain ! Because Sam was tall and , well big really at 40 kilos ( not an ounce of fat, just big ! ) I also got asked " That " question on a regular basis . Harley is just beautiful , don't let them get to you, keep the faith xx

Harley Quinn likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Choose a breed, tell them she’s a Lab crossed with it and they’ll go away satisfied. :p

drjs@5 and Harley Quinn like this.
  4. GaryC

GaryC Every day is a school day with a Lab pup.

Hmmm, your pic looks 100% Lab to me. Jax also looks 100%, because he is, and we often get asked too. Some people may just not know i suppose.

Harley Quinn likes this.
  5. MF

MF Registered Users

I get asked it a lot. Crossed with a boerbull. Crossed with a mastiff.

Someone once said, when asked if her lab was crossed with anything: Yes, he’s crossed with another lab.

I might’ve read that on here. Next time someone brings this up, I plan to say it!

drjs@5, edzbird, Stacia and 4 others like this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I've had it, too. I was once told W&S were "too skinny to be Labradors" :rolleyes:

And even with Squidge, the most Labrador-looking puppy that ever lived, I was asked what breed she was. Not only that, more than one person asked me what COLOUR she was! People be crazy.

Candy, QuinnM15 and Harley Quinn like this.
  7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

People are just dicks plain and simple.

Candy, drjs@5, edzbird and 6 others like this.
  8. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

It was very sweet. We went to a frail care facility on Wednesday to do a talk. Harley has been to old age homes/retirement villages but never a frail care. She was great, of course, as she has matured she really knows how much energy she can have with people. Someone asked if she was a guide dog - very sweet. And then a lady scratches through her purse and pulls out two photos. She calls me over and says that she breed dogs just like Harley and shows me a photo of a beautiful golden retriever and her 10 FAT puppies. Harley get so incredibly much love when she goes to places like that, and no one asked what she was!

Candy, drjs@5, edzbird and 2 others like this.
  9. Jules67

Jules67 Registered Users

Someone once asked if Bailey , are chocolate lab was a rottie :rolleyes:

10. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

There are people that just don't know what different breeds look like. I've been asked about Bear's breeding. He's a Jack Russell. Oh what is he crossed with? Nothing, he's all J. R. :rolleyes:

11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I agree with @Aitch that mostly it's people who don't know their breeds that ask. It used to bother me, and we got it a lot more when she was thin and narrow and now that she's filled out in the chest area people don't assume she's mixed as often. I just say "as far as anyone knows, she's all lab". Sometimes I wonder if I offend people when I ask what mix their dog is!

So true :D

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Because Harley is quite red I get asked if she is crossed with a vizla or Rhodesian ridgeback!! They don’t believe me when I say she all lab! It does get frustrating so I just don’t usually answer these days.

selina27 likes this.
  13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I like this saying , You cant fix stupid x

WoodWoman, Jes72 and Cath like this.
  14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Harley is beautiful and hard to see how anyone could take her for anything but a Lab.

15. Cath

Cath Registered Users

She is beautiful just as she is :heart:

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

People can be so ridiculous. I wouldn’t let it bother me. If someone doesn’t know what the most popular breed of dog in the world looks like they need to give their head a shake.

I always find it funny the other way, too. I worked with a man who said that he had a beagle, that dog was NOT a beagle. It weighed over 30kg and was taller than Stanley.

I never said otherwise, it’s none of my business. He got him from dogs trust and if that’s what they told him and he was happy to think that.. who am I to question it?! :D

Joy, selina27 and Jes72 like this.
  17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I get this ALL the time even by the man who owns a ridgeback! "No!" I want to say "He's crossed with a kangaroo!"

He can't possibly be a lab because he's far too fit --- !!!! Well, he IS fit, more fit than Aiden Turner IMO.

And now I'm singing -'I'm to sexy for my shirt' in my head. I need to get back to work.

snowbunny, drjs@5, Naya and 2 others like this.
  18. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Harley looks exactly like a Labrador to me, and from what you say @Harley Quinn behaves like one. And any way she is beautiful and you love her so that is all that matters. Same goes for Harley @Naya !
    I get this all the time with Cassie too - she doesn't have papers so I can't prove it one way or the other, and neither do I want too, she's my dog and very beautiful and I love her anyway :)
    I don't mind discussing with family and friends whether or not she has some pointer in her working Lab genes, but when total strangers want to know what mix she is I just say she's a Lab, and that's it. No more discussion, who really cares. Why they need to ask beats me. Don't get it at all..

19. Lucius Maximus

Lucius Maximus Registered Users

My lucius was mistaken for a cocker spaniel when he was a puppy. :mad: probably due to him having quite big ears at 12 weeks but still! Now he's more mistaken for a golden retriever or a golden retriever mixed with a labrador. He is a full lab, I tell them, his mum and dad were labs and as far as I can tell from his pedigree, all were labs! I have to laugh now though, someone mistaking him for a cocker spaniel!

selina27 likes this.
  20. Lucius Maximus

Lucius Maximus Registered Users

I also had a japanese spitz (not very common in my area) and I was always asked what she is, when I tell them "she's a japanese spitz" people said does she know japanese?! o_O:D I also got asked by one man if the reason she was a spitz was because she spat? I had to laugh at him, no definatly not!

She was confused with many breeds, from Pomeranian, husky to samoyed and even a chihuahua at one point!

Here she is, definatley 100% japanese spitz!

[​IMG]

Harley Quinn and edzbird like this.