Harness suggestions for new puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JoHall102, Nov 22, 2020.

1. JoHall102

JoHall102 Registered Users

Hi all.

We are due to get our puppy next month and I just wondered if anyone had any advice on what harnesses are good? I don't want to spend a fortune as is easy to do but I want to make sure I get something comfortable.

Thanks all! :)

2. Aravind

Aravind Registered Users

My $0.02 worth - If you are getting an 8-week old puppy, just basic flat collar and leash is probably enough - they grow so quickly, you'll have to keep getting harnesses every couple of weeks! I'd suggest wait until 4-5 months old, and then get a harness.

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Puppia is a nice soft brand for a puppy and it is a 'Y' shape which is better than ones with a horizontal strap across the chest. You definitely do need a harness as a puppy can damage their neck by pulling when a lead is attached to a collar.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

If you are in the US, I would recommend a Balance harness. (I don't think these are available in the UK.)

If you are in the UK, I would suggest a Dog Copenhagen Comfort Fit Air harness.

As your pup grows, if you are finding control a challenge, try a Freedom harness with double-attaching leash.

You should use a harness as soon as vaccinations are finished and pup is down on the ground, especially since little puppies don't yet know how to walk at heel and will run into any collar used.