Harry is home!!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Morgie1983, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Re: Harry is home!!!!!

Poor baby. Will he let you cuddle him?

2. Morgie1983

Morgie1983 Registered Users

My partner has him on her lap now and he's stop shaking bless him,

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Poor little mite. Riley used to sit on our lap and get stroked, would he settle there? You might need to try a few things to see if you can reassure him :(

4. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Our Amy wasn't too bad until see saw her reflection in the over door and started crying. Heart breaking sounds!

5. Morgie1983

He must be so nervous to wee his bed, he certainly doesn't like to be picked up

6. bbrown

Glad he's stopped shaking bless him :) Did his breeder tell you much about how he was raised? In kennels, in a family home? Do you think he was handled much?

If he was handled a lot and used to people it might just be nerves and he'll get used to you and his new home over the next few days. If he wasn't handled much you'll need to think how to get him to be comfortable being touched, stroked and picked up. I'm afraid I only have experience of one puppy so hopefully someone with more experience will be along to offer some advice on de-sensitising him to being handled.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aw...the wee soul!
    He is gorgeous.
    Lilly is like that - can put all kind of bedding in the back of the car but she rakes it up and sleeps on the flooring. Same in her soft bed - takes the mattress out and lies on the lining.
    Daft ;)

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

He is beautiful! I'm sure he will settle with lots of calm, steady handling from you. To avoid him weeing in the crate, put a barrier (cardboard box?) in it to make the space smaller - just enough for him to get in and lie down. Dogs won't soil their beds, but if the space is too large they will just go to one end and use it as a toilet, much like pups in a den.

Good luck with your boy - keep us posted!

9. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Aww he is a little sweetie. It will take awhile for him to get used to his new surroundings, and you for to gently coax him into being handled, takes me back three months ago, when I got my little Oatsy. x

10. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

awh bless him, ....he is beautiful xx

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

How is Harry this morning? How did you manage the first night?? Hope all went well and that he is more comfortable with you today... Dont worry, he'll soon love you and trust you! :)

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh he is a beautiful puppy :)

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello Harry!you are a gorgeous little bundle....we have Dexter an 11 month old yellow boy.

I'm late saying hi because I was traveling yesterday and my visits to the forum where a bit hit and miss.i hope he's settled in and your night was ok?Dexter was 5 months when we got him so I didn't have the scrumptious tiny puppy stage or the settling in you had yesterday.I was a bit wistful when you said he was having a cuddle in the lap.....Dexter was never really small enough to do that.......comfortably ;)
    You are going to have quite a few anxious moments over the next couple of days but there is so much help,support and info on this really friendly forum,just come on and ask.....and someone will help or reassure you.
    Harry is lovely and he'll settle in just fine with plenty of love and attention when he gets comfortable with his surroundings.
    Best wishes
    Angela

14. Morgie1983

Our first night wasn't too bad, he never cried or anything, been up since 6 and he hasn't touched his good or water!!

15. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Yay, another Harry! About time. And a handsome one at that, what a sweetie pie he is!

I'm sure he'll become more confident as the first few days go on. When is he going for his first vet visit? Sorry if you've said, not read through posts very thoroughly. If there's any other reason for his shy nature at the moment, vet will tell you. He's gorgeous. I'm jealous! :)

16. Morgie1983

Tuesday he goes to the vets!! This afternoon has been so much better he's ventured out of his crate and curled up in the kitchen, he seems more perky

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Morgie1983 link=topic=2480.msg24651#msg24651 date=1378540400]
    Our first night wasn't too bad, he never cried or anything, been up since 6 and he hasn't touched his good or water!!
    [/quote]

Glad to hear you had a good night with him. Is he eating and drinking now ok?

18. Morgie1983

A slight improvement in eating, he's just had his 3rd feed but still not drinking much, on a plus side he went to wee outside :)))

19. bbrown

That all sounds very positive ;D

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sounds like he is perking up if he is starting to eat. :)