Has my lab had some kind of seizure?? Help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Clare92, May 6, 2019.

1. Clare92

Clare92 Registered Users

Hi everyone,

I’m all new to this, so getting my bearings, but I’m hoping I’m doing this right to get some advice!

So anyways, I have a 4 year old boy called diesel, who is normally fit and well. This morning at 8:45 I was just doing the usual in the kitchen, making breakfast and the likes, diesel was asleep as far as I was awake near the living room. All of a sudden (I didn’t even see him cos he moved that fast) he darted into the living room but was kind of dragging his back legs close to the floor and his front paws were all over the place, he was so loud banging about! He hid behind the settee and when I called to him he came out but he was so wobbly and disoriented, his back end was tensed as if he was about to go into a ‘poo’ing’ position. I managed to get him into the kitchen and he was shaking uncontrollably, just sitting and staring into space, he looked so scared, and his mouth was dripping with saliva. I just sat with him and strokes him and he seemed to slowly return to normal. He was still slightly wobbly seemed as if he was criss crossing his front paws like he had no control. Now he seems really tired and just wants to sleep.

Has anyone got any advice cos seeing him like that put the fear of god in me and broke my heart

Clare

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Clare, I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a scary experience.

I would definitely make an urgent appointment with your vet today to run over what happened, and to see whether they think it needs investigating further.

Do let us know how Diesel gets along.

3. Carys

Carys Registered Users

Claire,

What advice did the vet give you? When our boy had his seizure last year they told us not to take him in as nothing they could do unless he has a few in a short space of time. Obviously we were in sheer panic at 4am! He was fine ever since.

Until yesterday when he had his 2nd 9 months down the line. We were far better at managing the situation and whilst still scary (aka horrific ) we coped better.

Hope your dog has been fine since.

4. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi and welcome, we had a lab that had symptoms like you describe and she was diagnosed with idiopathic vestibular syndrome. She couldn't stand up or walk and it was very frightening.

The first time it happened it took about 10 days but she slowly returned to her normal lovely self.

She had 3 more episodes over the next 2 years, not as severe as the first one and was absolutely fine in between.

Once we knew what to expect it was not nice to watch but not frightening as we knew she would be ok.

Might be worth a mention to your vet. Good luck. Hope you're boy is better soon

5. brianna hofer

brianna hofer Registered Users

We have a lab with seizures as well. Sierra's (the one in the middle of the picture) started a little younger than yours and she is 15 now. Now she has maybe one seizure every 6-9 months. She is totally normal and great the rest of the time.
    I know it is very scary and upsetting when it happens. In the beginning she typically had them at night or in the morning and my husband worked at night so it was just me.

Anyway, good luck and you aren't alone.