Hattie's PAT work :)

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by charlie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I can imagine it was very difficult if you today. Please take heart in the fact that you and Hattie have helped make their last few months happy ones xxx

charlie likes this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very sad :(

You made their lives happier though. That's a great gift.

charlie likes this.
  3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So Sorry Helen about your sad news, but remember what joy Hattie and you brought to those lovely people.

charlie likes this.
  4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

You and Hattie are making an amazing difference to people's lives, although it's hard for you at times just think of the joy you bring to people. :)

charlie likes this.
  5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Helen,this is the downside of fulfilling such a role.....I can imagine it being really tough at times for you,take heart in all the comfort you bring to folk at this time in their lives,bless you both xxxx

charlie likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aw so sorry that you had a rough day. Try to remember the joy you are bringing them and take comfort in that. You and Hattie are a blessing to people who really need you!

charlie likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless you, it can't be easy xx

charlie likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's been quite a few months since I updated Hattie's PAT work, hope you enjoy reading about her latest work.

Hattie and I continue to visit the Hospital wards and Hospice weekly, we are still thoroughly enjoying it. There is a lovely man that I am guessing has Motor Nurones or similar, Hattie goes up to him licks his stiff hand so that he can stroke her, it takes him a little time but she sits patiently, she just seems to know what everyone needs, dogs are so intuitive. Unfortunately we have lost a few friends which is always very upsetting and not something I will ever get used to :(

It was one of the very lovely patients 80th Birthday in September, I made him a big cake with candles to share with everyone in the Day Centre, his face was a picture and something I will never forget. Little things make a big difference during such difficult times.
    It was also Hattie's 9th Birthday on the 24th August the day we visited, she wore her Birthday Girl pink badge and everyone sang Happy Birthday to her, it was so lovely and cheered everyone up:heart:

In August Hattie was invited to the Hospital Open Day, a big event in the Hospital calendar, so of course Hattie accepted. It was a long afternoon 4 hours in total but as always Hattie was a complete star. The day started with an Owl display in the Day Centre which is not a very big room, there were two beautiful Owls that had been rescued. Whilst the conservationist told us all about the Owls who were sitting on their perches, Hattie sat still enjoying the display and didn't flinch, even when we all had a go at having one of the Owls fly across the room to land on our arms, now that's what I call impulse control :D

We then met lots and lots of children, babies in pushchairs, people on mobility scooters, walking frames, wheelchairs, walking sticks etc. We decorated cakes (me not Hattie :D) met the staff and even the Mayor. Hattie was then invited to Out Patients to meet the Ambulance Crew, the volunteer patient transport drivers, other volunteers, staff and patients etc. There were lots of stands to look at, equipment to see, the catering staff and of course lots more children :) A busy day but she enjoyed all the fuss she received!
    I know I'm biased but Hattie really is a special girl to be able to cope with so much and remain as gentle, loving and caring towards everyone :inlove: Hattie never lets me down, apart from pinching a biscuit off a low level plate :oops: she was forgiven!

Thank you xxx

Kelsey&Axel, Naya, drjs@5 and 4 others like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a wonderful girl she is. You must be sooooo proud of her!

charlie likes this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

What a wonderfully interesting day for both you and Hattie.

charlie likes this.
  11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Hattie is a lovely girl and I'm beyond impressed that she sat still while owls flew around indoors! :)

charlie likes this.
  12. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I don't think you're biased, Hattie sounds like a truly exceptional dog :)

charlie likes this.
  13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

How wonderful . She is such a lovely dog x

charlie likes this.
  14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

The lovely Hattie :heart:

Think we may need a little photo of her again....its been a while Helen x

charlie likes this.
  15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes please,let's see Hattie soon Helen.She reall ,is a wonderful dog,sounds like she's bringing a lotof happiness and comfort to a lot of people,x

charlie likes this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw OK ladies I will take some new ones of Hattie and post on another thread, when I get a chance xx :)

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Such a VERY hard visit at the Hospice today :(:( I went into the Day Care Centre this morning only to be told that the lovely man that I was so very fond of who I made the 80th Birthday cake for a few months ago passed away on Monday. He had been moved to a local Nursing Home where I visited him a couple of times and last Friday I took Hattie to see him because he missed her so much. I am so very glad I did, she lay at his feet bringing him lots of joy whilst we chatted, she also got a bonus lick of his ice cream bowl :oops: I can't believe he's gone, such a great man, I am going to miss him so very much. I disgraced myself again, broke down in tears infront of the staff and patients and had to step out for a while, so not on.

I then went upstairs to the Hospice ward where I met a lovely man that was desperate for Hattie to comfort his wife who was in her final stages of life, she adores dogs. She was so young, younger than me. Hattie worked her magic licking the lady on the hand and rested her head on her arm. In her room were loads of wedding and family photo's, a photo of their dog. Her husband thanked us and said he knew his wife could feel Hattie. So hard not to break down again. :(

Went back downstairs to the Day Care Centre and a lovely man collapsed, he was OK thank goodness.

What a difficult visit, drove home in tears and basically haven't stopped. Maybe I'm just not tough enough to cope with this. :(:(

So sorry just needed to off load.

Thank you xxxx

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh my word.

You have such strength to do this work, my thoughts are with you. What a comfort Hattie must be to all concerned, you too xxx

Crying is no disgrace, it shows you care, you wouldn't do the work if you didn't.

((Hugs))

charlie likes this.
  19. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It sounds very emotionally hard. But there can't be anything wrong in crying when someone you care for has died - it would be sad if someone reached the end of their life with no-one to feel sorry. It's lovely that Hattie can bring comfort to very ill people and I hope you feel able to continue.

charlie likes this.
  20. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, I feel for you. That sounds like the wort of days. But hopefully you can take some comfort knowing that you've brought some happiness to their final days.

charlie likes this.