Hattie's PAT work :)

Discussion in 'Labradors in Service' started by charlie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Helen, what you and Hattie do is amazing. I'm sure I would cry too if I was doing the visits. You are an amazing lady for bringing happiness to the older generation and I am 100% sure that Hattie makes them all feel loved.
    Sending you big hugs and Harley sends you big licks xx

charlie likes this.
  2. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Crumbs, making me cry just reading this. Bless you and Hattie for the incredibly vital work you do.

Have a relative dying at the moment, so I can't tell you how special folks like you and Hattie are.

Thanks and bless you both x

charlie likes this.
  3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ah Helen, visiting a hospice must just be the hardest thing. Reading about the woman surrounded by wedding photos has got me in tears. There's nothing harder than being confronted with people dying before their time, and you're amazing to go back week after week. I don't know if I could.

charlie likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hattie AND you are giving so, so much to people who need a little something more than medicine. I love reading about your visits xxx

charlie likes this.
  5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Helen,what a tough day ,big hug xxx

charlie likes this.
  6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

You and Hattie are both Stars :star: with lovely hearts :heart:

charlie likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw thank you so much ladies for your lovely words.

Today I have had a request from this lovely mans wife. She asked me could I attend his funeral and bring Hattie because it would have made him so very happy to have her there and it's what he would have wanted. She requested that Hattie wear something bright attached to her collar, so I have ordered a felt Magenta coloured flower. I hope that will be suitable.

It's going to be a tough service. There are no words :(:( xx

Naya and edzbird like this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, Helen, that's so lovely to be asked. It just goes to show how much of an impact you're having.

What a special girl you have, and a wonderful job the both of you are doing.

charlie likes this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

It show you what a treasure you are and what a special dog Hattie is.

charlie likes this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Helen, I don't know how I missed these posts, so very sad for you but think of the happiness that Hattie has given the patients, she has given them so much in the last days of their lives. The fact that the lovely man's wife wants Hattie at his funeral is a testament to the love she gives and the comfort she gives.

charlie likes this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It will be a celebration of this gentleman's life. You should enjoy being a part of it.

charlie likes this.
  12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh gosh Helen, clearly tough for you, but what a privilege to be allowed to do this and to make such an impact at the end of the life for these people.
    The funeral will be tough, but Hattie will be there for all of you - she is unique, and so are you xxxxxx

charlie likes this.
  13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A little update. Hattie and I attended this gentlemans funeral last week at the Crematorium. Hattie wore her bright collar and felt flower as requested, she looked a picture. We got there and on the window was a big sign: NO DOGS ALLOWED ONLY GUIDE DOGS. My heart sank as I was chatting to a lovely couple outside I said I would wait outside and hope to hear the service but at least be present for "T", this man was having none of that and talked to the Funeral Directors who told me I absolutely could take Hattie in as it's what "T" and his wife wanted. Very relieved we continued inside, sat at the back next to the door. Coffin and family entered, all stand so does Hattie, all sit so does Hattie. Whilst the service was underway Hattie just lay with her head on her crossed paws looking at the coffin, I sometimes think she is human. She coped so well with the new environment, readings, loud music etc. It was more of a celebration of his very varied and full life, all his favourite music, no hymns and just one prayer. The service concluded and we all went into the garden to remember "T", Hattie was a great distraction and lots of people came to thank her and commend her on her faultless behaviour, of course there was lots of fuss which she loved. "Ts" wife asked us to the wake which we gladly accepted, again Hattie was a complete star sharing her love much to the joy of everyone :)
    I couldn't be prouder of Hattie if I tried, she never lets me down, she never puts a paw wrong and just does what she does best. :inlove::heart:

I would like to think that "T" was looking down and was absolutely thrilled that his best girl Hattie was there for him. Rest in Peace our lovely friend. xxxx

BevE, Naya, Pilatelover and 8 others like this.
  14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

You are both Wonderful

charlie likes this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I'm sure Hattie and your presence made a big difference.
    A focus, away from the sadness.
    We said it before, but you are both stars :star:

charlie likes this.
  16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

HOSPICE CHRISTMAS LUNCH :)

Here is a photo of Hattie when we arrived at the Hospice for our Christmas Lunch on the 21st December. I called her a 'Mobile Christmas Tree', I don't know if you can see the knitted Robin, candy cane and a sleigh bell, she also had a big bow on the back of her neck. She looked gorgeous and she really made everyone smile :inlove: x

[​IMG]

Hattie and I were delighted to be invited to the Christmas Lunch, we did our rounds up on the Hospice and recover wards where we had official NHS photo's taken, popped back downstairs to the Hospice Day Centre for yet more official photo's - exhausting! :D Now the tables were layed beautifully and I'm thinking hmmm … Hattie + food = TROUBLE!! :bone: So I suggested that maybe I should pop Hattie home and come back for lunch, a room full of disappointed staff and patients all chanting "no, no don't take her home" meant Hattie was going nowhere. We all took our places, Hattie went underneath the table, she lay at my feet, I put my foot on her lead and there she stayed until everyone had finished their lunch. The Sister brought her a small plate of Turkey for being such a good girl. She popped out from underneath the table to listen to the Pianist and us all well err .. "singing" Christmas Carols and songs :D We were there for 4 hours and as always Hattie was very well behaved. She got lots of presents to put underneath the Christmas tree, so a wonderful day was had by all.

There are still quite a few patients stuck in hospital on Christmas Day so we are going to pop in for an hour and hope Hattie can raise their spirits just a little. xxx :)

Granca, Beanwood, Naya and 3 others like this.
  17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh Helen...
    Fabulous picture! Hattie is gorgeous!
    And once again a real star :star:
    How kind of you to pop in on Christmas Day. I'm quite sure you will be much appreciated.
    You are so, so kind.
    xx

charlie likes this.
  18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I KNOW Hattie will raise spirits on Christmas day, who could resist such an appealing and attractive Christmas dog, she looked wonderful.

charlie likes this.
  19. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

You are doing an amazing job, I actually can't think of any words that express how marvellous you and Hattie are. Xx

charlie likes this.
  20. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hattie looks so beautiful. You are both providing such an incredibly valuable service. Have a lovely Christmas day xx

charlie likes this.