Health Testing

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by 5labs, Aug 10, 2019.

1. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I have my dogs booked in for their eye tests today. If all is well, they will then all go for hip and elbow scoring next week (DNA testing covered as first generation hereditory clear).
    I do know how important this is, but after putting a year of work, a huge time and emotional investment into these guys, it is utterly terrifying waiting for test results.
    I know I shouldn't but I resent the fact that so many people breed, and buy from non-health tested parents and don't have to go through this worry.
    Wish us luck!

Edp likes this.
  2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Good luck with the tests!
    I know very little about the testing process but from reading other threads on this site I now know that if I was buying another puppy I would be looking at the COI as well as hips/elbows/eyes. I don’t know if it costs anything to find the COI of future puppies but well worth choosing a mate wisely.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Fingers and paws crossed for you all that the results come back positive. It must be frustrating as too many folk breed without concerns for the future of the breed and puppies, but it must be lovely for you when puppies come along and you know you have given them the best start possible. Keep us posted :)

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Thank you!
    COI isn't quite so straight forward. 'line-breeding' can either be beneficial to the breed or detrimental to it. In theory, a high COI can be acceptable where a 5+ generation has clear health tests and can be used to fix traits. It is dangerous if it not done with a lot a research as you can end up doubling up on faulty genes.
    For the 'lay-man' I would keep COI as low as possible, but for an experienced bredder, I would be less concerned.
    COI can be checked for free on the KC website when matching up a pair for a theoretical mating.

Anyway- good news! All eyes clear, so that's one less worry, now to start with hips and elbows £££££ !

Edp likes this.
  5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I guess I am looking for a reason why Toby had cancer at 15 months. His mother’s COI is 3.3 but his is 8.8( above the 6.7 recommended for Labs)
    His parents share great grandfathers and great great grandfathers.
    The Animal Health Trust are doing research into genetic links for cancers such as his. I am taking a cheek swab(if I can get one) to the vets on Wednesday to be sent off with his biopsies to the Trust.
    So much for breeders to think about.
    Really glad you got good results. Good luck with the next lot!

6. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Yes, there must be some link with cancer with genetics, or it wouldn't be so prevenet in some breeds more than others. Unfortunately there are so many other factors which we don't know about or understand.
    I love how the AHT do so much research for genetic disease. Let me know if you hear anything back for their study.

7. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Sorry back on this one again. Toby’s parents are 3.3 and 5.5 and Toby 8.8.
    Surely it isn’t as simple as adding the two together? That wouldn’t take in to account any shared ancestry.

8. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

No it doesn't work like that I'm afraid. I can try to add a link to some articles on genetics after i've put the animals to bed.