Heartgard (weight?)

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by kristy, Jun 16, 2019.

1. kristy

kristy Registered Users

So i want to buy some heartgard plus on the 1800PetMeds website.
    The options for weight are 26-50 and 51-100.
    They only sell them in a pack of 6 or 12.
    Alle is currently 11 1/2 weeks old. She is due for her next dosage when she is 13 1/2 weeks old.
    She weights 17.6 lbs right now.
    If I buy the 6 month supply of the 26-50 lb chewables, my concern is she wont be big enough when its time to take it next and then 6 months from now when its time to take her last dosage, she will be to big to take the last chewable because she may weigh more than 50 lbs.

So my questions are:
    Can you give a lab a chewable for 26-50 lbs if they are not quite there?
    And can you double up on chewables if they are over the weight limit to make up for the difference?

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I would only follow the instructions given by the product.

Sometimes this means buying products you don't need. You can slightly underdose a dog if they are on the borderline between two products - but I definitely wouldn't overdose a dog.

As for doubling up, that might be hard to calculate because we are talking about weight ranges rather than a specific weight for one - and for two, it may not be the case that the amount of active ingredient in a product is twice what it was in the product for a lower weight category. (A 55lb dog should not necessarily get twice the amount of product that a 27lb dog does.)

Really, you need to use the 'right' product for the weight of your dog. But you might find that if you take a look at other products, they have different weight categories (wider categories). For example, Interceptor Plus is a heartworm product and covers 8-25lbs: https://www.chewy.com/interceptor-plus-chewable-tablets/dp/172981

3. kristy

kristy Registered Users

Okay thank you so much. Your response is greatly appreciated.

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I would check with your vet. I don't think we started our pups on Heartguard that early, but heart worm is not common where we live.

5. kristy

kristy Registered Users

She started at 8 weeks per our vet. It’s common here. I’m just going to buy single dosages from my vet until she gets bigger.