Hello Again from Idaho

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by sunsetpines, Jul 26, 2022.

1. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Re-introducing myself after a long time away from the forum.

In the fall of 2014 I found the forum and gained immeasurable help and friendships from many friends around the world here as my Bella (in my profile picture) grew up.

We had a great life with her, she turned into the perfect girl with a few silly quirks - and many many friends.

Recently we came home in the evening (she comes to work with us), and as we were getting things into the house and dinner started I headed outside to play with Bella for a few minutes - after a long quiet day for her in her box at work. I grabbed the chuck-it and she took off across the pasture as always. Caught the ball, brought it back and I threw it again. She caught it....ran towards me....stopped and "puked it up" - it had gone down her throat apparently. I mini-panicked as she did the "puke" part...but she got it out, picked up the ball, and brought it to me and dropped it. Looked me in the eye - and collapsed with a whimper. We immediately started CPR (hubby was close by) - but as I'm sure you've guessed at this point...we couldn't bring her back. Whether the ball did damage to her esophagus, or the stress of it caused a seizure or heart attack - I don't know. I just know she's with God now.

It was hideous, awful, tragic, and unexplainable. But she died doing what she loved, and she KNEW we were there with her. A quick phone call to the parents and they were there within 10 minutes to help us bury her.

Our house was silent...our grief deep. Both hubby and I knew that we couldn't be "dog-free" and within days we were on the prowl.

And now, I'm here saying hello with another chocolate girl named Gracie. She doesn't replace my Bella, but she does help to ease the pain and emptiness. So onto the potty training, crate training, bite inhibition, clicker training, getting up in the middle of the night, loving on a tiny bundle of chocolatey perfection.

Heidi and now Gracie in Idaho

2. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

Oh, Heidi my heart goes out to you on the tragedy of losing Bella. It's just heart wrenching, but she obviously had a wonderful life with you. She will never be replaced, but I'm sure Gracie will fill your life with joy just as her big sister did. We have a lovely chocolate girl, Hillary, who is 3 and a half and is the delight of our lives.

sunsetpines likes this.