Hello from Austin TX

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Chillaxx, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Chillaxx

Chillaxx Registered Users

Hello, I just joined the forum, we have a nearly 6 month old puppy, he's a lab mix, we are trying to stop him jumping but having difficulty with getting him to stop doing that. We have had him since he was 5 weeks old, he weighed only 10 pounds then but now he is 51 pounds, so he can almost push us over when he jumps up. He's very smart with other things but he just does not want to understand the words "down" or "no".
    So any advice will be welcome.

2. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. Let us know how you get on with that training article and do shout if you have any questions :)

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Chillax and welcome from me and my big yellow boy Pongo in south Wales.

That article is, of course, absolutely right! But if I can suggest something it would be to try the "ignoring" strategy first - it might work. It really did work for us. When Pongo jumped, he was looking for attention. We had to show that if he jumped then he got NO attention - none at all. Turn your back. Not even eye contact. Complete ignoring. Once he is four-feet-on-the-floor, turn back. (He jumped up again of course, but got ignored again.) And again. And again.
    I was really surprised how quickly this worked.
    The biggest challenge is that everyone in your household needs to do the same. And, ideally, all visitors - if you can keep the dog away from the door until you've had a chance to tell visitors what you are doing and ask them to help (by ignoring him COMPLETELY until he is calm) it works much, much faster.
    It might not work for you! But I think it is worth a go, because if it does work, then it works well and quickly...
    Let us know how it goes!

selina27 likes this.
  6. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome. :)

7. HopeGracie

HopeGracie Registered Users

Hi there! I am new too but wanted to say hello! We are also in the Austin area. Northwest of the city.