Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by obedience1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. obedience1

obedience1 Registered Users

Hello not a lab owner yet but soon hope to be, have known several over the years though both working and show type hope somone can offer me some advice please I am a wheelchair user and have had this amazing breed suggested to me any preference on gender for a novice lab owner also should i do some dummy work with the dog hoping it happens that is

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Hello

Hello! I'm Julie, owner of Charlie, a 5 month show breed dog (who is chunky, cuddly, and an absolute delight) - welcome! Don't have enough experience to answer your questions apart from saying that having a lab in my life is one of the best things I've ever done!

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)
    Have you looked into possibly owning an assistance dog? I watched a fabulous display of assistance dogs with their wheelchair user handlers at the CLA game fair last weekend. Most of the dogs were Labradors. :D

4. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

very warm welcome from me and jasper male black lab 7 month old.......very good choice :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there - welcome!
    I have Lilly, a 3 year old black lab. Its hard work at times but worth it :)
    I guess you have others around you to support with walks/training etc.? particularly if you are looking at a pup.
    I am a first time dog owner :) and for our family there was never going to be any other breed.
    I suppose if you were able to give us some more idea about yourself and your needs we might be able to offer more specific advice.
    I second Heidrun's comment about assistance dogs, or even a well behaved rescue dog if a pup might not be for you.
    Looking forward to hearing more from you

jac

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forums! :) I hope you really enjoy it here.

I wouldn't say that males and females are that different in temperament. I'd be looking at the parents' temperaments and the temperament of the pup rather than going for one gender over another :)

What are you looking for, temperament-wise?

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum....I'm Angela a first time dog owner with Dexter a yellow 10 month old.

I haven't got loads of experience but have had loads of help so you can tell when I think I can answer something to pay it forward.....I write a big long post :D......I should give out warnings to make a cup of tea and take a break when I've posted ;) !

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello and a warm welcome from me and two year old boy Sam :)
    Have you been in touch with Dogs for the Disabled ? They will be able to offer advice and information for you I`m sure . Having owned male and female Labs , I honestly dont think gender has a great bearing on temperament, good luck :)

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :D

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello, and welcome! :)

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome from Lisa and Simba (10 month, lab/Newfie).

I agree that temperament is more a result of parentage than gender. I don't do the training with the dummies, so can't give you info on that. Simba is our first Lab and I am enjoying him...he is a rescue so lots to work on eith him but he is a good natured dog and is going to be lovely once we get him all sorted out. :)