Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Paul, May 24, 2011.

1. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Hi My Name is Paul,

I am very interested in the working Lab, I have spent the last 22yrs working German Shepherds and now as I am getting nearer early retirement I would dearly love to become involved with entering Gundog Tests (not Trials), as a way of still being involved with Dogs and the social/training that goes with it.

Never actually seen any Training sessions, but feel that being allowed to do this prior to selecting a Pup and talking to owners would be a good way to get things right from the start. I know a lot of people say read the Books, this cant compare with getting out there and seeing it for real.

Congratulations to all involved with getting this site up and running your work is appreciated.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Hello

Hi Paul

Thank you for your kind comments and welcome to the Labrador Site. I am sure that your work with German Shepherds will stand you in good stead with gundog work. So much of all the dog training disciplines is founded on good basic obedience and gundog work is no different.

I think you will find it a lot of fun

Pippa

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

Hi Paul, Welcome along, I look forward to hearing how the transition to gundogs goes for you.

4. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Hi Rocketman,

Thank you for your good wishes I am looking forward to the transition and learning hopefully with experienced people who have been there and done it!!!

Regards,
    Paul.

5. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

When you get your pup make sure you post some pictures for us!

And I'd seriously recommend getting "The Right Start" from The Gundog Club, it is worth its weight in gold.

6. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul and welcome...

I think you are absolutely right to try and see some training in action. That said it doesn't necessarily need to be at a class - there are some good dvds, and also some great demonstrations carried out at a lot of the county shows etc over the summer months.

I second the recommendation for the Right Start, as it includes advice on choosing your puppy in the first place!

Sam.

7. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have already read cover to cover the Right Start - very good!! I also attend the CLA Game Fair every year, but this year I intend to pay more attention to the Gundog Demonstrations and in particular the Labs.

Paul.

8. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Paul. The gundog competitions - working tests etc - are well worth a watch too.

Sam.

9. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Hi Sam,

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Does anyone know of any Training Clubs/societies in the Yorkshire area where a Newbie would be welcome to attend and in future to become a member and involved?

Paul.

10. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Paul

You're welcome :)

The Gundog Club has several trainers in Yorkshire - whereabouts are you based?

Sam.

11. Paul

Paul Registered Users

Hi Sam,

I am around the Doncaster/Rotherham area. I am willing to travel, distance is no problem.

Thanks,
    Paul.