Help! 6 month pup jumping up at people

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Christina MacDonald Doyle, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Christina MacDonald Doyle

Christina MacDonald Doyle Registered Users

Please help...
    When out walking and she sees other people, Keara strains at the leash almost lunging at passersby - adults and children - She's very strong Regardless of how many times I tell her to 'heel' keeping the leash very short, she totally disregards my command.
    When guests come to her home, she dies exactly the same... jumping up at them ....

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is a very, very common Labrador thing.

This article deals with it really well - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/no-more-jumping-up/

Welcome to you and Keara from Mags, Tatze and Mollie :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab - three years old. Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab and she's sixteen weeks old.

3. Christina MacDonald Doyle

Christina MacDonald Doyle Registered Users

Thank you Mags, I will go online and check this out.

4. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

That's interesting, Corona is also 6 months old and does the exact same thing. And she's strong so it's really hard to control. She's fine until we get about 20 feet away and then she loses her mind and jumps in the air like she's a pickerel out of water! I try to keep on walking cause I don't want her getting any attention while she's behaving that way. And like you said, there is no amount of yummy treats that can keep her attention on me or get her to listen to her commands. When we go to the vet, (and she's there ALOT), she's the same way. I try to hurry up and step on her leash so she can't jump up and I don't let anyone near her until she calms herself and sits. We also went to PetSmart today and my oh my, she was a total spaz there too. It was good practice there though and she did eventually calm down and we were able to walk around. She even got pets from small children and adults while keeping her wits about her. I should probably take there more often. I can see this part of her behavior is gonna take a lot of work. At home, when company comes over, I give her the command "kennel" and she stays there until she's calmed. When she comes out, it's on leash so I can step on if I need to. We usually give her a frozen kong and by the time she's done, she doesn't care about the company. I'm gonna also check out that article!