Help adopted a 9 month pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Ct72, May 26, 2019.

1. Ct72

Ct72 Registered Users

We have adopted a beautiful unneutered boy . He’s a bouncy big softie great with kids lovely on walks . But will not settle in front room in evening just paces and looks for something to grab or starts nipping me is he anxious or is this normal goes in cage way to much want him to be part of our family not a caged animal

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Sounds like he wants to play in the evening. Do you have tug toys, or things he can bite or pull on?

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Sounds very normal. 9 months is a full on bouncy busy phase. Puppy behaviour in a big dog. Does he get plenty of exercise? I found at that age Meg needed a bit of a run around to settle in the evenings ?

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Sounds just like mine at that age (except mine would bite for attention and I certainly couldn't have trusted him with children). We got him aged 6 months and I think they do take a while to adjust and learn to relax in their new surroundings.
    I dislike cages and think they made Loki's behaviour worse as he didn't seem to have anyway of calming himself without being forced into his cage. He seemed to believe all time out of the cage was compulsory crazy fun time. What worked better for us was making the kitchen (our main living space, dining room and office combined) totally safe and leaving him alone when he was overtired, even a few minutes was often enough, or just one of us leaving would calm him down. We also did lots of calming activities like long stays or downs with me walking around him or doing silly things or leaving the room and watching him from behind the door gradually increasing duration. I needed the cage more when I was actually in the room with him doing things he found really exciting like lighting the fire or hoovering or if I broke a glass. We got rid of the cage entirely a few months ago as we'd stopped needing to close the door on it even in those circumstances, but I will use it when we go on holiday with him in the summer.
    He's 2 now and we've gradually allowed him more freedom to join us in the living room, which at first he found overwhelmingly exciting, but these days he settles or just takes himself back to the kitchen once he's established there's nothing that interesting going on.
    Anyway, your dog sounds great, and I'm sure you'll figure out what works for him.

5. Labdad

Labdad Registered Users

Get him neutered use you tube and start training him just basics fetch stay wait find he’s bored he’s looking for something to do trust me he’s a lab he has to work his minds racing asking why am I here I should be doing something find him some water get him swimming

6. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Please, please do not follow this advise without doing a LOT of research.
    Indescriminately neutering a puppy this age has the potential to cause a lot more harm than good.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Neutering males typically does not have much impact on their behavior. If you are going to do it, most would advise waiting until he is fully grown.