Help - Buying my very first Dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Libertine, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libertine

Libertine Registered Users

Hi there,
    This is my very first post on this forum. I am hoping some of you will help me figure out how to go about buying my very first Dog. For starters, I want a low maintenance dog that I plan to keep indoors as a companion throughout the year and also a small game retriever for the winter hunting season.

I have narrowed down my choice to these two breeds.

1. Labrador Retriever/Golden Retriever
    2. Cocker/Springer Spaniel.

I am mainly looking at non-pedigreed dogs since I don't intend to have them as show dogs but rather work dogs and as companions. Pedigreed ones are priced too high and don't make sense to keep as anything other than show dogs.

Where I live decent non-pedigreed Cocker/Springer Spaniels are really hard to come by. Even if there are some around they are mostly pedigreed and fetch much higher prices as compared to retrievers. Decent non-pedigreed Golden Retrievers again are a rarity.

Hence, the only real option left with a non-pedigreed breed that would meet all my needs is the Labrador Retriever. It's probably the easiest dog breed to maintain, and has an easy going temperament that makes it suitable as an indoor companion pet that roams around the house all day long and at the end of the day sleeps next to you on the bed. Lastly, this particular breed is also known as one of the best small game retrievers out there. So, at the end of the day it does tick all the boxes for me.

Now, I have never bought or kept a dog of any kind before. So, I am unfamiliar with how to accurately judge their health or age at the time of buying. I am assuming it's rather difficult for novices to judge these things when buying non-pedigreed dogs. Frankly, I am scared of getting ripped off.

I have had a look at few potential buys that I could possibly welcome into my house as family. But I have absolutely no clue which one should I settle for among the ones on offer. I would be grateful if you could advise me on this with the help of the attached pictures. I can only lean towards one or the other by simply feeling which one's more good looking to the eyes. Can't afford to make a mistake here.

Attached Pictures.
    1. Non-Pedigreed Chocolate Labrador Retriever. Seller claims him to be a 6 months old Male.
    2. Non-Pedigreed Golden Labrador Retriever. Seller claims her to be a 2 year old female.
    3. Non-Pedigreed White Labrador Retriever. Seller claims her to be a 2.5 years old female.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope you guys will be of some help.

Many thanks.

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Of course I think Labs (and spaniels come to that) are lovely dogs, but none of these breeds are going to just calmly 'roam around the house all day long'. Think about the exercise a dog needs - mine has two walks a day of an hour each. I know some have less, but you need to reckon on at least one hour a day.
    A two year old would be easier than a six month old, but you would want to know why they were being rehomed.
    I've had dogs all my life and yes they make wonderful companions, but do need time and commitment.

MF likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi @Libertine welcome to the forum.
    I am wondering what kind of experience you have with dogs already.
    Whatever age, they are going to need training, even just for a companion dog, without the extra needed for hunting.
    I'm afraid I can't see your photos (my computer is not showing photos well tonight, but I suspect you may need to check out our Technical & Help section about using third party hosts).
    Puppies are always a bit of an unknown quantity, but for the more grown dogs you mention, meeting them will give you a good idea of their personalities and behaviour and will be the best option for you - take the chance to spend some time with them, go for a walk, interact etc.
    Have you looked at rescues at all?
    A meeting without strings would be the first step I would think.
    jac

MF likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Easy going temperament? You've not met my two, then. No, many labs are neither easy-going nor easy to own. Especially, it often seems, ones that are bred to hunt, which can be anxious and reactive. On the other end of the spectrum, you get the Labs that are over-friendly to a fault, running off to meet everyone they can, jumping up and ignoring their owner. Lots of these things can be resolved by training, but it is a lot of work!

Neither Labs nor spaniels are "low maintenance". They both need a lot of mental stimulation or they'll wreck your house. They also need lots of exercise, every day and all year round. Spaniels also need their coats clipping.

I'm most concerned by your talk of cost. The big cost of dog ownership is not in purchasing it, it's in its care. Will you be able to afford medical care for a dog, should it need it? With dogs that are prone to joint problems, this could amount to thousands. Not to mention the scavenging characteristics of Labs means they're often eating things they shouldn't, which could also make them very sick.
    I don't say this to put you off, but I think you need to carefully consider the full impact and cost of dog ownership before going ahead.

The thing with pedigree dogs isn't just about whether you're able to compete with them; it also gives you the history of the dog's lineage. You should be able to look up what health tests the parents had done to create your dog, which will give you an idea of the chances of him being safer from the big issues such as dysplasia or congenital eye problems. You can read more about that here : http://www.thelabradorsite.com/health-screening-for-labrador-diseases/

PS there's no such thing as a "white" or "golden" Labrador. They're yellow, chocolate (or "liver") or black.

Stacia and Libertine like this.
  5. Libertine

By roaming around the house, I meant I or the kids will be comfortable with them being next to us for most part of the day. I didn't imply that to be the case 24/7. Of course, I am aware of the fact that dogs need to exercise to keep them healthy. Especially Labradors as they I hear they are more prone to gaining excessive weight if not worked on a daily basis. So, that won't be an issue.

What I really meant by having them indoors was that I want a breed that's more homely, and quiet as I want to keep them indoors. None or very little barking as we are sleeping. Otherwise, I would have kept a Doberman or Rottweiler but they are clearly unsuitable as indoor dogs. Also Dobermans and Rottweilers don't satisfy my other need of a hunt dog. Labradors and Spaniels do. Now, I can't keep so many dogs. And I hear, Labradors are easier on newbie dog owners as they are easier to maintain than Dobermans or Rottweilers. I will definitely keep a Doberman in future, but for starters I think it would be unwise to keep such a demanding breed even though I just love the way the look.

6. Libertine

As I have mentioned in the post, I have no prior experience of keeping dogs as pets or otherwise. None whatsoever as this is going to be my very first dog. I have uploaded pictures of the ones that I have been intending to bringing home. At least one of those. For some odd reason they are not showing in the post. I will try to upload them once again, so you guys can give your opinion looking at their conformation and visible health depicted by the photos.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck with finding a rescue dog that suits my needs. So, I will end up paying for my very first dog. Let me try to get those pictures showing on here so you get an idea as to what sort of choices do I have at the moment.

7. Libertine

8. Libertine

Thanks for your valuable input. As I said, I am a newbie. So, not sure how to identify them by the color of their coat. You can correct me once you see the photos that I have uploaded. I am willing to learn as a first time owner. And I do understand that no dog is completely maintenance free they are living beings with emotional, physical and other needs. But I cant think of another breed that suits all of my needs. How about an English Pointer? Are they good around children and can be had as indoor dogs? Short coat they are, which is a plus. Good hunting breed. I don't really know which way to go. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

And by affording, I meant the initial cost of the dog. I am unwilling to pay upwards of 3000 Dollars for a Champion Pedigree dog that I will never Show. I would rather keep a healthy non-pedigreed one that could be had for under 500. The daily upkeep cost I am already aware of, and have already factored into my monthly budget. So, that wont be an issue.

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think you'd have to meet the dogs to decide if one is for you. As you have children, remember to ask if they're used to children and ask if you can see them with a child. I'd be looking for a confident dog -any problems like pulling on a lead or jumping up are fairly easy to solve with training, so that wouldn't worry me - whereas a dog that appeared timid would be an issue. By this I mean a dog that backed away from you, cowered down, licked their lips excessively, barked at you etc. (Those problems can also be solved but are much more tricky).
    You could look for any obvious signs of health problems -skin lesions, grungy ears etc but realistically all you can do is ask the owner about the dog's health history -I suppose it's possible they might agree to the sale being subject to a vet check (after all that's the norm when you buy a horse!)
    I think I'd also check that they were used to living indoors.
    Good luck -my first dog as an adult was a rescue Springer and she was a gorgeous girl.

10. Libertine

11. Libertine

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would keep all those things in mind. I have uploaded the images of the ones I have to choose from on Imgur. Could you go through them on the following link and advise accordingly. I cant get them to upload and show on here any other way.

http://imgur.com/a/Tse7l

1. Non-Pedigreed Chocolate Labrador Retriever. Seller claims him to be a 6 months old Male.
    2. Non-Pedigreed Golden Labrador Retriever. Seller claims her to be a 2 year old female.
    3. Non-Pedigreed White Labrador Retriever. Seller claims her to be a 2.5 years old female.

Many thanks for your help.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We can see those photos.
    The top dog (the "white" one) is grossly overweight and looks rather low "saggy" - has she been used for breeding?
    The other two look a bit fitter.
    But its not looks that are important. Have you met them?
    You really can't decide on an adult dog without meeting them to assess temperament and to see if they are a good fit for you and your family.

Cath likes this.
  13. Libertine

Great that the photos are finally showing on here. As I am newbie, I may not be able to answer all of your questions accurately. You would know better as you have kept dogs for a very long time.

But whatever little knowledge I have of dogs, I believe the white one has been bred just by looking at her visible teats. Not sure how many times has she been bred already. I have not asked the owner as yet, and neither have I met them in person. I will be doing that coming Sunday, and bringing one of them home if I am advised to do so on here.

Even though, I am a newbie with little to no knowledge. I was of the view that I should ignore the white female altogether for this very reason. I guess, you are hinting the same way. And I do need a fit dog as I intend to use him/her for winter hunts.

What about the other two? Which one looks to have better conformation, and show visibly better health in the pictures? And how do I confirm the actual age of the dog. Do I check their teeth?

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I'm sorry, but I really don't think we can do that on this forum.
    We aren't vets, and don't have the expertise to advise you on how to gauge age.
    And neither health. Other than comment on whether they look appropriate weight, that's about it.

I think its a little unfair to ask that of us. We are all just dog lovers with an interest in positive training.
    The decision needs to be yours.
    You really need to see them and interact and make your own decisions. If you are concerned about the veracity of the seller then maybe you should step away.

My thoughts are regarding all the pictures feature the same set of feet. Is it the same guy selling all 3 dogs?
    Why is he selling 3 adult (ish) dogs of different ages, one looks like a breeding dog. Is he a back-yard breeder? Is he scrupulous? Can he vouch for the provenance of the dogs? Have you done any research on the seller?
    I would be pretty wary to be honest.

Probably not much else I can add - I'm sorry if we can't provide the answers you are looking for.
    Good luck

MF and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  15. Libertine

Unfortunately, the part of world where I live it's quite common to cheat a newbie just to make a quick buck. Considering I have no prior knowledge of dogs, not at least to the extent that I come across as confident to the seller. I am fearful that I will be easily cheated into buying a dog that may very well be unwanted by other more knowledgeable buyers out there.

If you cant point me in the right direction then I understand that you have certain limitations. Yes, all three are being sold by the same seller. And for quite some time. Frankly, I don't know if he's a backyard breeder, scrupulous or unscrupulous, and what background does the seller have in the market.

I am kind of leaning towards the Golden one. By the look of his face, the chocolate one doesn't look like a pure bred to me. Maybe it's just me being an amateur when it comes to dogs.

But then I will have to take the risk with one, or consider having a puppy instead and raising him/her all by myself. Or completely forego the idea of having one at all.

16. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

You talk about buying a dog for hunting, but you've never owned a dog before. I'm just...I wonder if your expectations are a little unrealistic? There are a few members on the forum who have labs and spaniels who actually participate in real life hunts, but none of them are first time dog owners. And their dogs have been carefully selected as puppies as suitable for gundog training (strong working pedigree, health scores from parents etc). And training a dog for gundog work is an immense task.

If you have no prior knowledge of dogs then it would be best to step back, do a lot of research about breeders, and please don't rush into anything!

17. Luanne_TX

Luanne_TX Registered Users

A lab is definitely not going to be easy going and lay around the house. It can stay indoors but it will need plenty of exercise throughout the day, or something to keep it stimulated.

Do you have a yard and if so, how big is it? And do you work all day and would have to leave it alone?

I recently bought my first lab after growing up with many of them. They seemed easy to own since compared to the other working breeds we had, they learned easily and were friendly.

But it was a surprise to find out how much exercise she needed and that it was not the dog I expected.

If you do decide to get a lab though, and provide all its needs, you'll have a wonderful companion.

18. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I would really encourage you to have more day-to-day experience with dogs before getting one of your own. Perhaps by walking dogs for your local shelter, getting to know someone with a dog so you can spend some time with them or even just going to dog shows or retrieving events to talk to people and meet their dogs.

There is no such thing as a low maintenance dog. There are breeds that need less exercise or others that need less grooming, but "low maintenance" just doesn't exist. Also the purchase price of a dog, whether a purebred or the adoption fee from a shelter/rescue is largely irrelevant over the lifetime of a dog. You could easily pay more than the original fee many times over just the first year. There are things you can do to mitigate this (quality health insurance, for example) but it's still an expensive proposition.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a dog, simply that it would be a good idea to get more info before actually making a decision. You are looking at the next 12-14 years of your life, something that will affect nearly every aspect of your home life.

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

You will need to see the dogs as it's very difficult to tell from the photos. They should also be vet checked and have health records of vaccinations, etc, as they are not tiny puppies. These dogs do look as if they are from an unscrupulous breeder, so checks are even more important.

A rescue centre might be able to help you find a dog that is used to children and suitable for your needs.

20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

No -one, except a vet who has examined them, can tell you about the health of these dogs.

Having said that, the chocolate looks in good shape from the photo. But if he is six months old he is likely to be more demanding than an older dog. Though on the other hand if you're willing to give him the time he'll need, he could be trained. The top one certainly looks like a breeding bitch and she is very overweight.

I imagine you realise that any dog you buy will need to be trained to retrieve to do gundog work - i.e. they don't just do it naturally.
    If these dogs have been kept in kennels they may not be toilet trained or know how to behave in a house. This can be overcome but takes time and patience. (When I was a child in the 60s, my parents rehomed a couple of former breeding bitches from kennels and it took a long time for one to settle to family life.)

I do think temperament is of vital importance with a pet dog, so when you visit them take your time and walk away if you're unsure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.