Help - Buying my very first Dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Libertine, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MF

MF Registered Users

Good for you to ask questions before buying.

I don't know anyone who sells adult dogs (I'm sure there must be sales of highly prized stud dogs, but not in my world!). So I'd be very wary of someone trying to off-load adult dogs for cash. My instincts tells me this is a backyard breeder or puppy mill. In which case these dogs are only used to living in a kennel and might not be well socialized. I'd be running a mile.

If I were you I'd google "Labrador rescue" and find a rescue organization that rehomes Labradors. If they're good, they'll match the right dog to you, making your decision not only easier, but giving you greater chance of success having a dog you and your family will get on with.

2. Libertine

Libertine Registered Users

Thanks for your valuable input. With all due respect, it feels to me that I am being judged more than helped with my amateurish query. I guess I shouldn't have opened up so quickly. Nevertheless, I value all of your valuable input.

All I want is an opinion based on the conformation or visible health of dogs as depicted by the attached pictures. I don't ask of anything more than that.

I am grateful to you for at least giving me your unbiased opinion on here. Even though it might end up being vague but it has surely helped me to narrow down my choices to the Chocolate Male and the Golden Female. The white female as you have rightly assessed to be a breading bitch that is overweight, and hence wouldn't be a suitable choice for me.

I am still leaning towards the Golden Female over Chocolate Male, as I would prefer to have a Female for keeping indoors. Also, the female I could also choose to mate at some point in her life.

One last opinion, and then I wont bother you anymore.

(Chocolate Male vs Golden Female. Which seems to give a better feel to you just by looking at the pictures, even though as you have rightly mentioned it's difficult to accurately judge just by looking at the pictures.)

I will be bringing one of the two home come Monday. We all have to start from somewhere. And I consider this a new beginning for me when it comes to keeping dogs as pets. Fingers Crossed!

Many thanks once again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

3. Libertine

Libertine Registered Users

Just to let you all know, I am based in Lahore, Pakistan. Hence, I don't have as many options as you have in Britain or elsewhere. Finding a suitable match through a rescue service here, as some of you have suggested, is frankly next to impossible.

https://www.facebook.com/pawspakistan

One of the few rescue service's link I have shared with you above. Please go through it. They mostly rehabilitate feral dogs or other animals that have been abused. Sadly, the government here kills them unashamedly instead of taking care of them. I haven't been able to find any suitable dog through this service.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I am sorry, but we really really can't do that.
    I'm sorry if you object to me doing so, but I am temporarily locking this thread to discuss with the mods the appropriateness of your questions here.

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm afraid you've had all the help an online forum and it's physically remote members can offer. Dog buying at all times is buyer beware. If you feel unable to make the decision alone I suggest you wait, find someone local to you with experience that you trust to help you find a dog. I know that may also be hard but it's likely to be worth it. A national labrador breed club or the Kennel Club might be of help putting you in touch with someone.

I wish you the best of luck.

This thread will remain locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.