HELP - Defiant Dolly.

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ry1705!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ry1705!

Ry1705! Registered Users

Hi. I am hoping someone can help. We have a 12 month (in a few days) old girl called Dolly. Who, as the title suggests has gone from being our friendly family dog to our rogue pup.

Over recent days she has turned into the dog from hell and genuinely speaking is causing me to have a break down. Running off easily over 600m to another dog on one occasion jumping all over their owner (very friendly, but inconsiderate and completely embarrassing none the less). Running off today through some fields to someone’s private garden who have working dogs in kennels in the back. Refusing to come back running rings round me and my son. When I get close she will run further away. I will call, whistle, run away and throw treats yet she will ignore me.

She is on the whole well exercised 1.5 - 2.5 hours a day. We worked a lot on training she is crated at night never had any issues, we have worked with trainers trainers etc and has normally had a good(ish) recall, but I haven’t ever really let her off around other dogs because she just thinks everyone is her friend and I don’t trust her around them and worry what other owners would say. She does however Go to dogs play once a week just to run around with all the other dogs which she seems to love.

I am at my whits end and just don’t know what to any more, is it a phase? Is it me?

Any help is appreciated.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

So the only time she is around other dogs is when she is allowed to run riot with them?

It seems as though she thinks that other dogs are the best thing ever and are there to be played with.
    Could you join some group training so she learns to focus on you around other dogs?

sarah@forumHQ and Edp like this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Totally agree with @5labs group training around other dogs is brilliant for this situation Unless you train around distractions, all your hard work goes out of the window when you hit a real life situation. I took my dog to Kennel Club obedience classes. They were hard work but really paid off. Meg now has a rock solid recall for the efforts we both put in there.