Help! I have the puppy blues :/

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kylie D, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

I just got my puppy this past Wednesday, and have been taking care of her alone. I honestly have no complaints about her, she is so sweet, sleeps great, and is so friendly. But for some reason I find myself to be extremely overwhelmed and in a state of panic especially when I'm alone with her. I need tips on how to get more comfortable with her while I'm alone so my anxiety doesn't get the best of me. Any advice would help! Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2017
    Chloe likes this.
  2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Kylie D , are you going to be on your own with her permanently? Is there any particular aspect that's worrying you?
    Last year when I got my puppy, it had been 5 years since I'd had a dog, and the feeling of responsibility was quite a shock and overwhelming, the first puppy that I'd had that was all mine. I can remember it very well, but only now when I think about it.
    I think the thing is to look after yourself, rest when she does. I believe the Happy Puppy Handbook is very good.

What is your puppy's name?

Kylie D likes this.
  3. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

Not always - my fiancé works on a boat so he's gone 3 weeks at a time and then comes home for 3 weeks so I won't always be home alone with her. I just think I feel overwhelmed about the responsibility over her and fear I can't handle it but I don't know why. She's been so easy and doesn't do anything wrong. I'm just trying to figure out how to get over this little puppy blues phase.

Chloe likes this.
  4. Carys

Carys Registered Users

I doubt you are alone. I think we probably all went through some anxiety when we got our new family members. It probably doesn't help right now but I am sure once you get to know each other better you will both settle and be fine. I was on high alert for every noise/stir when we got our boy but now it doesn't phase me. (we didn't get him as a pup - we got him as a 14 month old - just acts like a pup)

My biggest piece of advice would be to carry on with your routine when at home as much as possible. If you normally watch your soaps, carry on doing so and both have a break. Your pup will soon get used to you and vice versa.

How old is your puppy?

Kylie D likes this.
  5. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

She's 8 weeks old on Tuesday. I definitely do that - always on high alert to make sure she's not eating something or doing something she's not supposed to. She sleeps for 4 hour intervals at night already and whines when she needs to go out so I don't have to set alarms. I'm hoping once she's able to sleep through the night things will get better too. Just glad to know other people are going through this too.

6. Carys

Carys Registered Users

You are definitely not alone.

Ours sleeps downstairs and the door to upstairs is firmly shut. I occasionally hear him yupping in his sleep (and I wear ear plugs) I'm instantly downstairs checking on him - he is fine and looks at me as if to ask what I'm doing up at that hour.

You will get used to each other really quickly. When my OH went out to his mates for the 1st time for an evening I panicked. I needn't have and you have already overcome that by being there with her for a prolonged period of time without your partner.

When he comes back and you leave the two of them alone you will probably start being anxious all over again as you will want to make sure he does what you have been doing. It's completely normal :)

Chloe and Kylie D like this.
  7. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

Thank you! All of this is making me feel so much better knowing I'm not alone in feeling like this. She's such a cute and great girl so I was really struggling with why I felt the way I did.

Jes72 likes this.
  8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So many people feel like this after getting a puppy. And a lot of people feel this way after having a human baby too (but they don't talk about it readily for fear of criticism). I don't know how it goes with human babies but people with doggie babies generally do start to feel normal again with time. So, take heart - you are definitely not alone. Talk about it here anytime you want too - I think that sharing it with others is the best possible thing you can do :)

Chloe, Tokalosh, Jes72 and 3 others like this.
  9. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

Thank you - your support means to much to me. I'm hoping with the advice from everyone that things get easier and easier everyday. It just stinks because right now I feel slightly defeated and I wanna be strong for my pup so I can bond with her but it's so hard when I feel so broken down.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The lack of sleep is a big factor I think...once she can last longer and you can sleep more that will help.

Your pup sounds healthy and happy so don't worry about that. She's just fine. You're a good puppy mummy.

Kylie D likes this.
  11. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

She's still very small and you're still getting to know one another. As you do more training with her the bond will come.

12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

This is really good advice. I had such a bad case of puppy blues earlier this year. One factor was sleep deprivation and even when she was asleep, I'd be stressing about her. It does pass as they mature and life takes on a routine. Hopefully for you it won't last long. I posted here lots and everyone's responses really helped me through the blues. Don't worry about bonding with your puppy - it will happen. I absolutely adore my puppy :).

Chloe and Kylie D like this.
  13. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

The only thing I can say is that this was exactly me to a tee 4/5 months ago. I would cry almost every morning and night thinking I had made the biggest mistake in the world! I was worried that i wasn't bonding with her, she took up so much of my time and energy and I was just emotionally exhausted. A couple of months passed and now she's 8 and a half months old (still time consuming and difficult at times of course) but so loving and so rewarding. It will all get so much easier, just make sure you cuddle her as much as possible, I miss Nelly being small! Good luck with your bundle of fluff. Xxxx

Kylie D likes this.
  14. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

It'll get better!! We've had George for 8 weeks and I'd say the first 4-5 weeks I was an anxious mess, regretting that we got a puppy. It didn't help that on top of that our senior dog got sick. It will get better as you get into a routine and form a bond with your dog, I promise!

Kylie D likes this.
  15. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

Thank you everyone!! It's amazing how kind and supportive you all are being, I can't express my gratitude enough ❤️

16. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

It's a flipping nightmare at first as most of us can attest. I didn't even have to deal with sleep deprivation but I was still an anxious, resentful mess who could barely brush my teeth two days running or change out of my drool smeared tracky bots!!

I felt the same when I had my son but felt better quicker with the pup! About 4 months in small changes occurred and I started to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep coming here and know you're most definitely not alone.

Kylie D likes this.
  17. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I remember sitting on the kitchen floor with the gas fire on, the back door wide open, pouring rain outside in the middle of summer watching my puppy breathe daring not to move an inch in case he woke up.

You're not alone.

Plum's mum likes this.
  18. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Our senior dog went lame at the time we got our puppy and didn't like the puppy at all - I felt so guilty.

Yes that's exactly what happened here.

19. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

@Atemas I'm sorry you can relate! Ours went from liking the puppy and playing, to getting sick three weeks later...now we often have to keep them completely separated. It's been very difficult and emotional. I have definitely felt guilty about the timing. :(

20. Kylie D

Kylie D Registered Users

Thanks everyone! I feel like one of my problems is I'm couped up with the house we're her all day and I don't know what to do with her. I can't take her to dog parks obviously because she's so young and she can't really go on walk yet. Does anyone have a ideas of what they did to get out of the house with their pup during this time?