help introducing a collar

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by maisie17, Feb 7, 2017.

1. maisie17

maisie17 Registered Users

hi everyone
    I'm new to the forum (it's already been so useful reading all the threads).

We have an 11 week old lab called Maisie. We are trying to introduce her to wearing a collar (initially so that we can do training outside particularly, at this point, for toilet training) but she seems scared of it. Our dog trainer suggested introducing it slowly, playing with her, clipping it on, while giving treats etc - which we did but she was immediately petrified of it - she ran and hid under the table and then into her cage on her bed. We tried again later in the day and had the same reaction. So I'm wondering, when something like that happens should you repeat the process the same day or give it a rest? (I guess that question applies to any training that doesn't go brilliantly but particularly now she seems to have a fear of the collar!).

many thnaks

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. If Maisie has already built a negative association with the collar, then it will take a little while to break that. Don't panic, it's perfectly doable, but for the future, you may need to go a bit more slowly introducing things to her. Some puppies are brave and don't bat an eyelid and some are more sensitive with things like this, so you need to be dictated to by her comfort level. You'll learn what that is as you get to know each other better over the coming weeks, months and years :)

For now, try to make every interaction with the collar a positive one. Don't force it on her, and don't be tempted to try to clip it on again for a good few days at least. Pop it on the floor next to her food bowl. Hold it in your other hand while you pet her (if she likes to be petted) and while you feed her treats. Start to stroke her with the hand holding the collar. Lay it over her back and eventually work closer to her neck, all the time giving her lots of yummy treats. Clip it closed just in your hands, so she gets used to the noise it makes. But take your time with this - do it in really small steps over several days. If she ever looks nervous, stop and go back a couple of steps to where she was comfortable and start again.

Do you need it for toilet training? Do you have your own garden? If it's enclosed, then she doesn't need to be on a lead, and if it's not, then maybe think about getting a pen that you can put up in the garden which you can pop her in to go to the toilet. I do this and it really helps speed up the toileting process, too, as it's a pretty boring space and so it focusses the mind.

This is a blog entry about me desensitising my puppy to her harness - a similar process. Although you'll see she's pretty brave. I'd have had to go a lot slower with my adult dogs, who are more jittery: https://thislittledoggy.com/2017/01/08/desensitisation-to-the-harness/

3. maisie17

This is all so useful, many thanks
    She is particularly timid so we definitely need to be mindful of that with everything.

The reason for mentioning needing it for toilet training is because we live quite rurally and have quite a large back garden that backs onto a field. Now that she's very comfortable out there she likes to play - and run away- when we take her outside. Although this is obviously lovely, it means that she's not really associating outside with the toilet (sometimes she goes while out but just as much inside). So the trainer suggested that it would be a good idea to sometimes take her out on the lead - particularly if we want her to go to the toilet - keep it boring, don't look at her etc.
    But we are just learning all this so very happy for all advice and guidance.

4. snowbunny

I would really encourage you to use a pen outside. I have a really small one, designed for guinea pigs, rabbits and such: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030NLMME/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's small and boring and when I need her to do her thing in quick time, I pop her in there. When she's just mooching in the garden (that is, not specifically out there to toilet), she usually goes up to her pen and squats next to it, so she really associates it with where she should "go". It's saved me hours of standing around waiting for her, only to have her wee as soon as we get back inside, which is what was happening before.

FoxyLady likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We put our pup's collars on just at meal times for the first week. Then, for the second week, we leave it on after meals for ten minutes or so. During the third week we slowly extend the time.

Of course, when we carry them out we put it on - but they are distracted then and perfectly fine.

We do the same with all new equipment.

:)

maisie17 likes this.
  6. maisie17

The pen sounds like a great idea, because that's exactly what we're doing now (waiting around, only to have her wee in the house).

And thanks for the tips re: collars @Boogie :)

7. maisie17

hi again, so we got the outside pen set up and have been putting her in it, not making eye contact, making it boring etc. Unfortunately we've not had any success with her pooing in there (she has weed) - she seems to think it's punishment being put in there and just whines to be let out, then she'll come in and poo on the floor :( I should add that I'm really on it in terms of taking her out there regularly (during the last hour and half for example, I've taken her out 6 times).
    I guess we just need to persevere?

8. snowbunny

Do you give her lots of treats and fuss when she goes to the toilet? Luna gets three treats every time she goes, one after the other rather than all at once - because that only seems like one treat, then. She knows if she performs, she gets to have her treats and gets let out for a play.

9. maisie17

Yes lots of fuss and lots of treats.