Help! Lab puppy collapses on back left leg

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PaigeAndWallace, Feb 11, 2021.

1. PaigeAndWallace

PaigeAndWallace Registered Users

Our English yellow pup is a big boy (a little less than 4 months and already 35lbs)! We noticed a month or so ago, randomly when he would get tired from sprinting or playing with another pup, it would seem like his back left leg would give out. He would never cry or whimper, but would kind of collapse on it.
    This only happens when he is really worn out. On a daily basis, he jumps on the couch, he goes up and down our big stairs just fine - one paw at a time - and doesn't limp or anything. When playing fetch or jogging, there is no limp or sign of weakness. The collapsing move happened again today when I had him at the dark park - he played and ran full speed for awhile - then towards the end would do a run run run, collapse, run run run collapse, all on his left back side. He is so young I don't want to go through xrays and such if they are not needed and he will grow out of it. He doesn't fuss or whimper when I move it around or massage it either. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it just mean that he is tired and thats the side he shows it on to rest?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Paige and Wallace,

Welcome to to the forum :)

How worrying for you - I'm afraid it's not something any of us can diagnose or tell you how to treat over the internet though. He needs to be examined by a vet, in person, as soon as possible.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

3. Megs

Megs Registered Users

I agree with above, but just to tell you that we have noticed similar issues in our 13 week lab on days when we might have pushed exercise a bit too hard. It sounds like you also involve a lot of exercise - maybe ask your vet if it’s too much? We were told not to worry but I find it hard to stay within the guidelines.