Help!! My 8 month lab bites me

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Amandab85, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Amandab85

Amandab85 Registered Users

Hello, I really need some help with my 8 month black Labrador Alfie. He lives with myself and my partner. He completely obeys my partner 100 % and wouldn't dare bite him, or me when he's around. However, when I'm alone with Alfie he often jumps up at me biting and snapping. It's getting out of control now coz he won't get off me and I'm covered in bruises and almost drew blood the other day. He pulls at my ankles, takes things he knows he's not allowed just to get a chase. I'm at the end of my tether now. I'm also not sure if he's a purebred as he has a longer snout and long back legs. He has been neutered 2 weeks ago and Is just as boisterous if not more so now. My main concern is how do I get him off me when he attacks like this? Help!!!

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Can you redirect him? Either with a toy or throwing a treat or food away from you? My boy gets bitey when he's tired and at 5 and a half months old if he leaps on me when I'm on the settee I have trouble getting him off me (I have a broken wrist at the moment and am in plaster so can only use one hand). I keep a couple of squeaky toys next to me so I can distract him and throw it to the side of me. If he won't calm down or carries on trying to get my arm he is put into his crate for a few minutes. If I am stood up then I fold my arms and turn my back.

I am sure those with more expertise will be along to help...good luck

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Doesn't sound like you are having much fun Amanda.
    Do you feed/walk/train Alfie or does your boyfriend do this?
    Trying to distract him like Samantha says is a good idea.
    The running away with stuff for a chase and the boisterousness is, I'm afraid, pretty typical teenage lab behaviour.
    It gets better. be consistent. Make sure you and your boyfriend are doing the same thing.
    Try not to over-react or "flap" when he is bitey or that will encourage him (I know. its tough not to just dissolve into tears sometimes).
    Do you have somewhere for a time out for him?

4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Time out was the only thing that worked for Ripple at that age - I had a long line attached to him indoors that I could stand on when he started biting me so I could get control. It was usually when he was over tired or over excited that he got like this, if I could remain calm it was over much quicker but I know how difficult it can be.