Help needed! Puppy does not like going for walks.

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Jennysligo, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Jennysligo

Jennysligo Registered Users

Walter is 15 weeks old, we have been taking him on little walks but he is very reluctant! He hides in his crate when the lead comes out, won't go through the door.
    Once we are out he does love meeting other dogs and people, but does not seem to want to trot along, so we spend a lot of time just sitting.
    I've been giving him treats with the lead and harness on my arm or on the floor to try and get him associate the lead to good things.
    And lots of paise if he does move, but I really need some advice please. I don't want to do the wrong thing.
    He loves the garden, and he will go into the front garden happily. It's almost like he does not like walking on the pavement!
    Any advise or similar stories would be gratefully received!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I don't think this is uncommon at all.
    Its a big enormous scary world out there!
    A little at a time I think. And maybe leaving his lead on in the house and garden for him to get used to it, including feeding him with it on.
    (and hope he doesn't chew it :D )

Jennysligo and kateincornwall like this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Excellent advice from Jacqui , just to add a thought , do you know someone who walks their dog , who you could join, even if you don't go the whole walk with them ( thinking of puppy joints here ) . Pups do take on board the actions of adult dogs , so it might help to boost confidence x

Jennysligo likes this.
  4. Aimee Lawrence

Aimee Lawrence Registered Users

We had this with thor. I actually made a post on here a few months ago titled first walk failure because he wasn't absolutely terrified!
    Take it slowly, if he doesn't want to go further don't push the issue and if needs be just sir and let him observe the new noises and sights. It took us about two weeks to get him the 100 yards down our road to the nature reserve, and once he had been there it was like a different dog. He went off lead and it gave him something to look forward to when we walked towards it.

You'll get there, just take your time and let both of you enjoy it :)

Hollysdad and Jennysligo like this.
  5. Jennysligo

Good idea! I'll give that a go at food time!

6. Jennysligo

We have a dog coming to stay in May, hoping he will show Walter what's what! He has been for walks with his 'uncle' but he still stops a lot!

kateincornwall likes this.
  7. Jennysligo

We went to the park today, he seemed to get on much better there! Might stick to park walks for a while!

Aimee Lawrence likes this.