Help please

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by janet carr, Aug 28, 2017.

1. janet carr

janet carr Registered Users

Hi I have a yellow lab Rosie she's 16 months old, she doesn't destroy furniture and is very good on the whole apart from digging holes in the lawn.
    She is hardly ever left alone since my husband and I are retired, (here comes the but ) my problem is whenever we do go out when we return she greets us with this sound like a seal not whining it comes from the throat we fuss her but it goes on, she also does the same thing to the family when they visit she loves our grandchildren four year old boys. The noise is very loud and sometimes developing into a excited bark it goes on for about ten minutes then she's fine calm and very good with the boys. I don't want to dampen her enthusiasm but we can't hear what anyone says. Oh I should probably mention we also have an 11year old lab Ellie so she has her company when we do leave her.
    If anyone has any ideas how to deal with this problem I would be extremely grateful other than that - she's lovely.
    Thanks janet

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This is common , and the very best thing to do is to ignore her until she has calmed down ! So, come in , don't fuss her at all, hard I know but the fussing is making her mega excited , its like a game that you are joining in ! It will take a little time , but repetition wins the day , no eye contact, just ignore until Rosie gets fed up of being ignored ( she will ! )

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It does sound like over excitement to me. Might be worth trying what Kate has suggested