Help - puppy ate chocolate!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Chergar, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Chergar

Chergar Registered Users

Hi all, I am after a bit of advice, my 16 week puppy ate some chocolate today, my daughter had a chocolate cornflake cake and 3 ‘flakes’ broke off and fell on the floor, puppy ate them before I could stop him. I know chocolate is dangerous for dogs, should I try and make him vomit, does this require a trip to the vet? How long before he will show signs of being ill?

Thank you for any advice.

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Sorry I didn’t see this in time to reply but wanted to say hope your pup is ok. :)

3. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

Anything like this happens contact the vet for advice they will know what to do and advise should any treatment be needed.

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Tiny amounts of chocolate are not a problem. There are some calculators on the web, that will help you figure out how much of what kind will be a problem. Look at them now, not after the pup has eaten chocolate. For a typical Lab sized dog, a 2 oz chocolate candy bar is not going to be a problem. Your medical supplies should include a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide solution which can be used to make a dog throw up if needed.