help!!- puppy sleeping problem!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by bev clark, Apr 17, 2014.

1. bev clark

bev clark Registered Users

please- any help here?? we have a new lab puppy- Gonzo. he is a beautiful yellow (very light in color) male. we got him when he was 8 wk old- will be 11 wks old tomorrow. he has an appropriate sized, portioned-off crate. the first 2 nights we put his crate in our bedroom- he was a yowling, howling, crying mess. we then moved his crate into the living room, & one of us slept in their with him. he progressed to where he would sleep from about 12 or 12:30 until about 6- so we decided to move his crate to the bedroom ( we only have attached recliners in the living room- not so comfy to sleep in! & i work nights- so neither one of us was/is getting very good sleep). we have had him in there for 2 nights & he is not doing well- waking up a lot more, making a lot of noise. he knows we are right there. i am reading "Puppy Sleep Training" by Rebecca Setler- but do you guys have any ideas? should we move his crate back to the living room for a while longer? putting him in our bed is not an option- as we have a 7 yr old terrior mix, 12 pound dog who already sleeps with us, in a queen size bed. We did not want to ever let him sleep with us- thought it was a bad idea- but she does suggest this as a temporary fix. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: help!!- puppy sleeping problem!!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
    I would move him back to your living room , he no doubt sees that your terrier is in bed and wants to do the same, so what he cant see wont hurt him ;)
    Be very " no nonsense " at bedtime , out for a wee just before and then a calm but firm " go to sleep now " and walk out without looking back , and try to resist going to him , even if he howls , he will soon learn that making a noise gets attention . It might take a little time , but the penny will drop :)

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Bev, welcome to the forum :) I agree with Kate, your puppy needs to sleep downstairs now. He doesn't need you with him. After three weeks he won't be homesick for his siblings and Mum any more, and should soon settle on his own if you are firm. If your terrier will sleep downstairs, put them in the same room (with pup in the crate) A puppy that can see and smell an older dog near to him, will hardly ever cry at night.

4. bev clark

Thank y'all so much- will def try this tonight!

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Bev.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I hope you have some success with this....sounds like you need some sleep!

Jac

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Bev from us, Hattie 6 years and Charlie 3 years. Hope Gonzo will sleep better and you very soon :)

7. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[​IMG] from a teeny tiny black 5 1/2 year old Lab known as The DivaDog and her pet human [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Lola had a blanket that we rubbed all over mum and siblings and my dressing gown so she has both smells. She doesn't need either now but I do think it helped settle her. Also be consistent. Avoid keep going down to him cause he may twig that you come running when he cries and I wish you the best of luck :)

9. bev clark

hi!! quick update on Gonzo & his sleeping- things are much improved!! we moved his crate back to the living room- he will sleep there from around 10 pm- set an alarm to take him out to pee at 2 am, then straight back to the crate- he protests a little ( i just put him in there, tell him to "go to sleep", & leave the room)- but then will sleep until 6 or 6:30. this is very tolerable for me!! so, we are doing much better!! thanks again for y'alls help!! ;)

10. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

That is good news :)

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats great , so pleased that its working ;D

12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Well done Bev and Gonzo!

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fab news :) so glad things are improving x

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hope you are feeling a bit better if you are getting more sleep Bev.