Help!! Puppy socialization skills

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ashley Moser, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Ashley Moser

Ashley Moser Registered Users

Help everyone,
    We have a 5 and a half month old black lab. He was a stinker in the beginning but we were really getting somewhere when he turned 4.5 months. He was all potty trained, listening like a champ and recognizing commands that I had only said one or twice. The only issue we had was with other dogs and Zeke (our black lab). I would take him over to my parents and they have 4 older dogs. I was hoping that he would learn to respect them and learn that not all of the time is play time. Well he didn’t. They would tell him no and it was like to Zeke that was a yes. He would get crazier and even more playful which would make them more and more upset. When I take Zeke on walks he is the same way, he does pretty good when it’s just him and me but the second we walk past another person or dog, he gets up on his back paws and goes crazy. Crying because he wants to meet them and it’s so embarrassing because no one wants to bring their dogs near us because he is so crazy. We had wanted to get a second one so they could play and I felt bad that he was all alone during the day and I was hoping that since he had another dog with him all day it would help his socialization skills. So about two weeks ago we rescued a 10 week old lab mix. Maggie is her name and she is the total opposite of Zeke. She is playful but she is much more mellow than he is. I took her over to my parents and all she did was sniff them and they sniffed her and that’s all she needed. She wasn’t jumping all over them like Zeke. At home, her and zeke play but there are times where I really question if they are playing or not. Zeke is obsessed with Maggie. He won’t come unless Maggie is coming too. Outside we take them on walks (3-4 a day, 10-15 for Maggie and 20-25 for Zeke) and Zeke will sit and pull and pull or not go forward because Maggie is going in the opposite direction. In the house he has to be where Maggie is and if he isn’t he throws a fit. When they have a toy they are usually okay but when just the two of them are “playing” it gets a little concerning. The noises they make are concerning but I find articles online about how sometimes it sounds like that and it’s okay. But just yesterday my boyfriend and I saw that Zeke had gotten a few nasty bites from Maggie on the sides of his mouth, they weren’t bleeding completely, a little blood with some puss. And that just upset the two of us so we separated them but then Maggie goes running back to Zeke like she wants to play and Zeke doesn’t want to stop “playing”. I have noticed the hairs on zekes back go up but he doesn’t walk away, he will keep hitting Maggie even when she not interested. He just won’t stop!!! We are really having trouble with this. Zeke being so persistent and Maggie obsessed that he isn’t even listening to us. Its just heartbreaking to see how good he was doing to how bad he is doing now. I try to break them up when they are going crazy with treats, another toy or even a spray bottle but they stop for a second and then continue right after. Please help. We don’t know what else to do. Help!!