Help Required

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Leo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing well , so i recently bought a 7 week old lab puppy and i wanted to know if it's healthy and growing correctly. He eats and drinks right. I feed him 100 grams of kibble in 4 servings everyday. Should i feed him anything else too. Please look at the pictures below.

[​IMG]

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome here! I'm sorry, we can't see your picture, if you look technical support you will see how to post pictures. Generally you have to use a site such as Photobucket or Flickr.
    To answer your question, though, it is not necessary to feed your pup anything other than kibble, assuming that it is a good quality kibble.

3. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Please open the link below !

https://m.facebook.com/100007958386948/albums/1872558333019428/

4. Leo

Leo Registered Users

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Leo, your puppy looks healthy to me. I would say that you are feeding the right amount. The best way to tell if his weight is ok is to feel his ribs. You should be able to feel his ribs by pressing lightly on his sides, but you shouldn't be able to see them.

He is very cute :)

6. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Thanks oberon, i sure can feel his ribs and he is one active puppy so i guess he's fine. So I shouldn't feed anything else besides good quality kibble ? I usually give him a banana or some yogurt as treats when he follows what i say lol , the breeder said it's fine to treat them every now and then. What do you say! Thanks again.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good quality kibble is all that's really needed for his main diet.

You can definitely add in and use a range of different and interesting treats for training or his entertainment though. For training you can use little bits of cooked sausage or chicken, or dried liver. If you have a Kong for him then you can mash up half a banana and put it in the Kong for him to lick out.

I would avoid dairy products though as they can give some puppies a bit of an upset tummy. Some are fine with things like a bit of cheese but some aren't.

8. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Thankyou , I'll make sure to do that , can i take him out on walks yet ? He's a very active puppy and needs to finish his energy which he can't seem to do inside and keeps biting and growling often times. Also he has been dewormed and first vaccine shot has been done aswell. He weighs 5.3 kg atm and hes 7 weeks old.

Another thing I'd like to ask is , can i give him a bath yet.I'm afraid he might get sick as he's quite young right now. Also his breath stinks sometimes, what can i do for that .

9. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Also guy's can you comment on his genetics , does he looks like he's from american lines or British .

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Cute pup!

Leo shouldn't go out until he's completed his vaccinations - your vet can advise you how long to wait after his last shot.

Did his breeder not tell you what his lines are? Or is he a rescue-puppy and you don't know his origin?

His breath shouldn't smell unless he's just eaten maybe. Ask your vet when you're in for his next appointment.

Be careful giving him treats other than his kibble when he's so young. Tummies can be very sensitive. As he grows you can introduce lots of different treats - they're all valuable for training.

11. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Okay i wouldn't take him out yet. My vet said i can take him out just in my yard not outside the house . His breath stinks most of the time even if he hasn't ate food. I'll tell this to the vet aswell.

About the lines , I don't know the breeder directly , i got him through a friend and all the paper work is in process , is there any way or signs to tell if he's from British or American lines because I'm really curious. Either ways i already love him and he's my son :)

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

"British or American" is meaningless. In the UK, we would say "show lines or working lines" and that's also pretty meaningless for the majority of Labs. If your dog has recent show champions in its pedigree, you can say it's from show lines. If it has recent field trial winners in its lines, you might say it's from working lines. But, successful show line Labs can work on a shoot, so what does that make them?
    Most Labs are bred with neither type of championship in mind, and that's no bad thing. If you are caught up on categorising your pup, though, you need to look back through his pedigree to find successful candidates at field or show events.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He's very sweet! My first dog, also a yellow Labrador, was called Leo... :)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Leo!
    Welcome to you and your human!
    He looks very cute.
    Have you brought up a puppy before? If not, you might want to try and get a copy of Pippa's book - The Happy Puppy Handbook.
    I bet you will have loads of questions over the next few months and this book is really good at telling you the essentials.
    A lot of information is on the main website too.
    jac

15. Leo

Leo Registered Users

Thanks for the help guys. Yes this is my first time owning a puppy :)