Help!! She is literally eating the house!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gracies_Mom, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Gracies_Mom

Gracies_Mom Registered Users

Has anyone else had problems with there pups eating through walls? Our 6 month old has been really good until the past week or so, other than tearing up paper and a few flip flops, she has pretty much just chewed her toys and bones. I came home last week to find two holes in the wall, and a hole in a bedroom door. She only does this when left alone (I haven't been able to catch her in the act to use leave it). We tried using bitter spray and she just licks it off the wall...she likes it!! The room she is tearing up is where she is kept when we are not home with a baby gate.....I guess I am going to have to start kenneling her while we are out of the house. Any suggestions to stop this behaviour??

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Help!! She is literally eating the house!!

Is she crate trained ? Some pups get more anxious than others when left alone , crates can provide a den, a safe place for them if they feel upset , would suggest you start using one when you are around, leaving the door open so that she feels less worried by it to start with. Also wondering if she is teething ?
    How long is she left for when she has been destructive ? Have you tried leaving her with a stuffed kong toy , they are great for keeping them busy :)

3. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Hi Shelly,
    Yep, we have a pup who seems to quite like the bitter spray too! ;) I'd say the same as Kate and go for crating her when you are out (depends to a certain extent on how long you are gone for) with kongs that she can chew. My spaniels were never great chewers, and Brew is only twelve weeks - if I'm not free to watch her though, I don't trust her! She's got fabulous teeth and she likes to keep them busy...
    Clare

4. Gracies_Mom

Gracies_Mom Registered Users

Thanks Ladies!! We do have a crate that we keep the door open on and she lays in it sometimes and also uses it to hide items that she steals...shoes, socks, and even her toys sometimes! She is never left alone more than a few hours. My mom lives close by and comes to let her out and play with her while I am working and my son is at school. She was only home alone for an hour when she tore up the wall though....I was just out running an errand. I do use a kong, and have started freezing it to keep her busy longer. I am going to start crating her with the door closed until she gets past this!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hi there!

My boy can chew for England - but if you are only having very destructive chewing when you are out, it might be because she isn't coping so well with your absence? Might not be, but worth considering.

I sort of use the urge to chew to my advantage. If I have to leave Charlie, I leave him in a metal pen, with a tile floor, and save up his food allowance to leave him with kongs, goody bones and safe chews. Lots of them, not just one or two. From spying through the blinds, and leaving my camera running on video, this works - he chews himself to sleep, just pausing for about 10 seconds after I leave before happily getting getting stuck in to his kong pile.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3223.msg34640#msg34640 date=1384023825]
    From spying through the blinds, and leaving my camera running on video.......
    [/quote]
    This made me smile ;D
    We once set the video running pointed to a mouse trap when we went out. We now know how the blighters escape from the humane traps. None of them in our house anymore ;)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=3223.msg34658#msg34658 date=1384028243]
    [quote author=JulieT link=topic=3223.msg34640#msg34640 date=1384023825]
    From spying through the blinds, and leaving my camera running on video.......
    [/quote]
    This made me smile ;D
    We once set the video running pointed to a mouse trap when we went out. We now know how the blighters escape from the humane traps. None of them in our house anymore ;)
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D