Help! So tired :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kelsey Danielle, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Kelsey Danielle

Kelsey Danielle Registered Users

Is there a way to help puppy sleep past 6? Titan is up at 6 on the dot every single day. I'd even be happier if we could just make it to 7! Is this just a puppy thing that we have to wait out? Help!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mollie was also waking at 6am, needing a poo. My supervisor suggested feeding her last meal later. I now feed her at 8pm and she sleeps until 7am. I play with her for half an hour from 9:30pm as she snoozes all evening too!

:)

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer wakes us up at 5:55 every morning, our alarm clock goes if at 6am weekdays. But he's always staring at us and then will give a bark at five to six!? Weekends I have learnt the art of getting up putting down H's breakfast letting him out and get back into bed without properly waking.

SwampDonkey and MF like this.
  4. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Corona WAS waking at 6:45 then started with tummy issues and her sleeping patterns are TERRIBLE again. She's a 4 month old that is waking up all night putting her paws up on the bed, trying to join us. Ugh. She was sleeping in her crate until about a week ago and it wasn't any better in there either. She would toss and turn all night, waking me every time she banged around in her crate. That's when we decided to try de-crating her. The first 2 nights were encouraging but it has gotten worse and worse. We've always allowed her on the bed at alarm clock time for a snuggle and we realize that we have created a major problem that we now need to undo. She has a large pillow and her crate door is left open. She starts out ok but it doesn't last long. It's time for some tough love because I am sooooo sleep deprived. No more bed. AT ALL. I'm not looking forward to the next week cause she is one persistent girl. Do yourself a favor and DONT make matters worse by starting habits you aren't willing to continue. If your pup is sleeping thru until 6, I'd be happy with that! Trust me, it could be WAY worse!

5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I don't really have any advice but Stanley used to wake really early.

Then one day he just slept through - he was about 5 months.

Now I have to wake him up. 9am this morning he was dirty looking me :D

6. MF

MF Registered Users

You can gradually train him to sleep longer. Ignore him if he tries to wake you up. Wait 5 minutes and then get up. Or wait 10 minutes -- however many you can manage! After some time his internal alarm clock will reset and he'll wake up a little later. Then make him wait another 5-10 minutes. It is quite amazing how they can get used to anything. We had to put up a few tantrums when Snowie wanted us to wake up at 5am, but after three days he realised all the barking and tossing his bed around was not going to get us up (it was difficult though and we did apologise to our neighbour about the early morning barking!).

However, it is very difficult to get a dog used to week days and weekends. He doesn't really know what lying in means! But as they get older it does get easier. Just this morning we all slept till 8.30am! I did wake up myself at 5.20am -- MY internal alarm clock! Snowie was very happy to get up but I whispered to him that we're going back to sleep. And he didn't object. But he'd also had a very late night (we had guests over) so I guess he was also tired.

Feeding later is also a very good tip so that he is not starving and wakes up too early.

7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

What time is his final time out at night? Maybe a later final play time may help. Good luck, I've do doubt in in a few months it will all be fine :)

8. pedrolo

pedrolo Registered Users

I think so.

But, some tips you can use to face this issue...

1- For some days wake you up, BEFORE she wakes up, so YOU wake up her. The point is that she gets used to be waked up by you.

2- Gradually wake her up, some minutes later, up the time you consider OK (7 am is perfect).

3- In case she wakes up, before you, ignore her, until she is quiet.

4- At night, be consistent and keep a "unplug-routine", means feed her a little later, go out for last wee and poo, and go to sleep quiet and calm

For sure in some weeks she will improve... keep in mind she is a little puppy.

Best Regards...

9. Jonathan Wang

Jonathan Wang Registered Users

When I got kibs he was waking up at 530, i slowly started tuning him to be a bit later every week, now he gets up at 630 but wont bother me until my alarm rings at 7. Now if I could get him to understand Sat and Sunday means sleep in days hahaha

MF likes this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I found that my puppy began to sleep in longer just with time, which wasn't long, three weeks or less. It should be easier now that you are getting darker mornings. Take heart, it will get better :)

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

ooh so lucky here - all our dogs have got Saturday/Sunday being different. Up at 7-7:30 during the week - lie in until 8 at the weekend (Coco let us lie in until 10 yesterday! after a very late night)

DebzC and MF like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

5am everyday everyday :eek:

DebzC likes this.
  13. Kelsey Danielle

Kelsey Danielle Registered Users

Of course I make this post and then today had to wake him up at 7! :rolleyes:

He barked once at 6:15 and then must have went back to sleep, because when I got up to go get him up he was curled on his bed with his little puppy :)

DebzC and Debs like this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He knows you've been talking about him on here!

Also - don't feed him breakfast until the same breakfast time each day so that wake doesn't = food.

:)