Help struggling with terrible behaviour

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annmarie Betts, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Aurela

Aurela Registered Users

Hi guys, I am very pleased to share with you, I and my puppy Buci are friends now. I am very happy. Today Buci took a bath and slept early. We are taking photos together during the whole day.

R Lewis likes this.
  2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi there and welcome from me and my pup Isla. Please try not to worry about the biting, ALL puppies mouth and bite but your pup will definitely stop as she gets older. We used to tell our pup"no bites" and place her over the gate of the room we were in for a few minutes, she could still see us. She soon learnt that play stopped if her teeth touched our skin. After a few months she stopped biting and mouthing completely. It will stop as she gets older

3. Aurela

Aurela Registered Users

I am writing to share with you that We have done steps back. He is only three months old and he is showing that he is very strong, bite everything in the apartment, bite sofa, walls, everything. In the morning when it is time to eat usually at 8 am and he looks at me, if I am not giving him food he is very insistent, it looks like he will bite me. He jumps in a very high level, and believe me I am feeling really frightened. Even when I try to touch, to show I love him, I am feeling frightened.

We are thinking this dog can not live in apartment. I am afraid He needs garden.

Now we do not know what to do, we are very close to him and we are feeling bad and confused.

4. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

Are you providing him with a sufficient amount chew toys and frozen stuffed kongs? Train him on the things you want him to do. Put some of his meal in your pocket so he can't see it and ask him to sit and stay. If he does it, say "yes" and give him him some of his meal from your pocket. Practice recall inside the house. Have him train for his food. You can also hide his kibble around the apartment and have him sniff it out.

For the chewing of different things, I know it's hard and can be a pain in the ass, but you really have to monitor him closely and keep him in areas where he can't chew things as much as possible. When my Bud was really young, he would want to chew pretty much everything. I can't count how many times I had to stand up and redirect him to something I wanted him to chew on. Then a minute later, he's back to something else he's not supposed to be chewing on again and I'm back up redirecting. It takes repetition and constant reinforcement. It can be exhausting, but it's necessary to stop the behavior. If you aren't doing enough redirecting and he chews up whatever he isn't supposed to before you can stop the behavior, you aren't doing your job. It's part of what you are signing up for when you get a puppy and everyone goes through it, albeit some worse than others.

If you are busy and can't monitor your dog to prevent him from chewing things, you need to put him in his crate or enclosed area where he cannot get into things. Hopefully he is comfortable in there. Put a frozen stuffed kong in there so he associates the crate with something he likes.

Personally, I don't think his behavior has anything to do with him needing the garden. He's going to do the same things in the garden because he hasn't learned he shouldn't be doing that yet. You have to wear your puppy out mentally so that he wears himself out and sleeps.

For the jumping up and biting, I would literally not say a word and just walk away. Ignore him. Don't pay any attention to him. He's not getting your attention if he acts like that. If you yell or make pointing hand movements telling him no, that's just going to excite him more and make things worse. I notice a lot of people do this with their dogs when they are over excited and it just is the worst because it just doesn't help at all.

Michael A Brooks and Saffy/isla like this.
  5. Aurela

Aurela Registered Users

thank you