Help with Puppy itching

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Zac Stager, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Zac Stager

Zac Stager Registered Users

Hi everyone, I would love any advice I can get with my families newest addition.

We picked up our yellow labrador around a week ago from a breeder, she's very calm and ebbs and flows in excitement. We kept in close contact with the breeder until 8 weeks and no issues were seen or reported.
    When we picked her up, the 4 hour car ride home went smoothly, she was very calm and laid in my arms the entire ride. Once home she did well for the first 24-48 hours, and then she began itching (elbows, armpits, thighs, hips...almost anywhere she can get to). We contacted the breeder who told us when we picked her up she had received her first bath, we got hypo-allergenic shampoo and bathed her again...still the itching continues. We had begun to switch her food a few days in, and switched it back, no relief yet here either. We have removed any aerosol/fragranced items including candles, soaps, detergents and perfumes from her environment. She is at the point where she has scratched enough to create sores in certain areas and we have discussed it with the vet whom believes it might be some kind of bacterial skin infection and gave us antibiotics and Benadryl.

I was wondering if anyone might have any recommendations for us as to help her get some relief, methods, tactics, experiences would all be SO helpful. She isn't our first lab pup, but she is the first to experience this kind of discomfort/issue, we are worried sick about her.

Thank you all so much!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, sorry to hear your puppy has this problem, as you probably know, skin issues in Labs are not uncommon. I do hope the treatment your vet has prescribed works quickly. if not, don't hesitate to take her back for further tests.
    In the meantime, distracting her as much as you can with puppy games and activities will hopefully help. Good luck

3. tomd8

tomd8 Registered Users

Hello Zac - We just went through the exact thing with our yellow lab who we've had for 2 weeks now, picked up at 8 weeks from the breeder. Thinking it may be a grain allergy (our last 2 labs had it) I switched from the food that contained corn to one without grain as well as a few baths in shampoo containing oatmeal. All of this did the trick for us. Now it's just the normal collar scratch. I hope this helps. Best of luck. Tom

4. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

We had same problem with our pup who we rescued from less than stellar org. She had bald spot, scaly skin from itching. Took her to vet, turned out it was Demodex Mites. Medication from vet cleared it right up! Mites are always present on dogs, but when their immune systems are compromised, the notes can over populate.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

5. JazziDaze

JazziDaze Registered Users

Hi we had a similar problem when our pup was about 12 weeks. Changing bedding to hypoallergenic and laundry detergent to surcare seems to have done the trick