Help with snapping when feeding a treat

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Owly7, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Owly7

Owly7 Registered Users

We have a lovely 16week old fox red lab who is coming along nicely. But, one of the issues we can't seem to get over is the snapping when he's being offered a treat. The only treat we do offer him is his own kibble as anything else just upset his tummy. If it's offered flat handed it's no where near as bad, but with thumb and forfinger can be a little dangerous.

Is this something that given time will end? or does it need training out of him?
    I've followed the guides on here, but I worry that I'm not doing something right because it doesn't seem to be improving. Any tips welcome.

2. Owly7

Owly7 Registered Users

Bump

Any ideas to help here folks?

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, I do think that urge to snap for a treat settles with maturity and general impulse control. Do you ask him to wait before you give the treat ? Sometimes just slowing the process can help. Also, do you give the action a word? We use nicely. So if your dog takes a treat nicely, say so. Then he will associate that action with that word. It worked for us. Good luck

CeeCee likes this.
  4. Owly7

Owly7 Registered Users

He there and many thanks for your reply. We use the word "gently" and I've noticed today that with a piece of apple, slightly bigger he takes it from your hand very softly, but anything small such as cheese or his kibble is snapped at. Here's hoping it improves. Thanks again.