Help with walking a puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Kerry277, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Kerry277

Kerry277 Registered Users

Bella is 14 weeks and makes it so hard to go for walks. She just stops and sits refusing to go OR picks up everything and anything on the way. When can you enjoy a walk ?? Any advise to make walking more enjoying would be appreciated. I know she’s finding her way and wanting to smell everything but it’s so hard when she just refuses to walk

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Kerry277 she doesn't know how to socially walk. You have to teach her. If you do not motivate the dog then no training can be performed. At her age, use a lure. Say Yes when she gets up to walk with you and immediately give her a treat. Have a bright happy voice. Engage with your puppy.

How far are you trying to walk? Pups should not be walked long distances. Look up the 5 minute rule by using the search engine on this site.

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

This is very common with puppies, Kerry. It occurs because owners try to pull on the leash and because every dog as a natural opposition reflex to being pulled in a particular direction - they will resist it. The solution is not to pull the dog but to ensure that your early walks with a puppy are about following where the puppy wants to go, stopping when they want to stop, and keeping the leash loose.

Here's a little video I made for my classes, using a litter of pups we had:

JuliePenguin and Kerry277 like this.
  4. Marc

Marc Registered Users

Hi Kerry, Join the club. Xena is 7 months old and she does everything you said. She has great walks and then not so great. I found walking in wooded areas working better than in the city. Granted we live in the Northeast and not in a large metropolitan city. My trainer suggested I use a Gentle Leader Collar. Though I haven't tried yet. I always keep a bag of treats and reward all the commands. Labs are very smart dogs and she will get it. Have patience and keep at it.

Kerry277 likes this.
  5. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi, you could also try the command ‘this way’ when Bella is stationary and then try walking few steps that way then use the command and a treat and engaging voice and hopefully things will become easier. It takes time and remember brain training helps tire them out too. Even if you walk for just 5-10minutes

Kerry277 likes this.
  6. Kerry277

7. Kerry277

Thank you Marc it’s nice to know it’s not just Bella. We also find wooded area so much better. She has lots of treats and praise

8. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

HI @Kerry277 you ask if her refusal to walk is common. I see many dogs that just pull and pull. Not so many dogs that refuse to go walkabout. But a few. I had one student whose dog would not walk on the footpath at all outside her home. You can imagine that made social walking very difficult..

Your dog is very young. And at the margin the fear factor of new things now dominates the desire to explore. You need to now help her to explore the world by motivating her to come with you. Don't pull her into walking. I'm not a fan of flooding. If she is willing to walk at her own pace exploring sticks then encourage her to do so. "What have you found there?" in a bright voice. I'd be very surprised if the pulling does not come later..