Hero's log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by mummyp85, Oct 31, 2019.

1. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

Hero is a fox red from working lines now approaching 6 months. We got him at 9 weeks. He is so intelligent and once we passed the terror tot start, all the basics we had worked on clicked into place and he has developed his training to more diffictdifficult levels. His recall is proving good when off leash - think it may be due to the bag of really stinky treats I always carry lol. He loves them not so much me when I end up stinking of fish, etc but heyho it works thanks to tips from the forum and Labrador Site. He has learned his magic word which have only had to use once so far....but his favourite activity after his walks is far and away nose training. We've now upped his difficulty to find things well hidden and tiny bits of smelly treat in long grass. It's fascinating to watch his concentration and how pleased he is when he finds them. He's a cheeky little devil tho and the funniest thing which I really have to stop laughing at and do something about, is when he pinches OHs slipper or shoe. He is so proud of himself and struts around with his tail up, ears up and it is just so funny. Will work on this but hey don't want to dent his pride straight off. We've been through the exhaustion, the near tears, the wondering if we could do this but my super boy is proving that no matter how hard it has been, it is all worth it. Here's to more training and having fun with our gorgeous little monkey

Joy likes this.
  2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, it was so good to read all about your lovely boy and what great positives in your post.

Hero sounds like he is maturing beautifully. They are worth all the hard work aren't they. Carry on doing what you have been.

mummyp85 likes this.
  3. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

So we've been through a bit off a rocky patch with behaviours all over the place after New Year's Fireworks and Christmas overload. Apart from the anxieties this has caused, at 8 months Hero is now hitting teenage 'I'm not listening to you' as well. So as we've gone into 2020 this is my New Year's resolution and have have spent the last few days coming up with a plan:
    1) re-read all the training material we have and keep referring back to it
    2) be more structured
    3) look at anywhere we have gone wrong or just not done things in the best way possible
    4) keep a daily log of good things, not so good, triggers, fear factors, etc so that we can see what's working and what isnt
    5) where things are not working then try a different approach
    6) work hard on getting OH to do the same as everyone else - this is probably the worst one
    7) as attention span is currently not that great, reduce training to bitesize through the day
    8) work on distractions big time
    9) stay calm when 26 kg of bouncy dog decides to jump up and bite me when out on walks or drag me through the bushes

But above all make it fun so that Hero and all of us enjoy this to the fullest.
    Let's see how things go

Saffy/isla likes this.
  4. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

It sounds like Hero is off to a flying start. Don't worry too much about things going slightly awry over the holidays, it's a funny time of year for us all :)
    I think you've got some great plans going forward, and can't wait to hear how you both get along!

5. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That all sounds brilliant to me and such a good idea, I may steal it for myself!

Good luck and let us know how its going.

6. MontesMum

MontesMum Registered Users

Love your points. It’s so good to keep going back and learning and re learning. We change, they change. Your Hero sounds so much like our Monte. I’ve read your other posts and just nod along saying yep us too! Monte is almost 7 months fox red. Think the fox reds are more challenging than the other colours... not sure if that’s a thing but it feels like it! I used to have 2 yellow, 2 choc and looked after a black and they all seem much calmer and less anxious. Anyway, good luck and let’s hope the older these pups get the less brain ache we have!

mummyp85 likes this.
  7. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Love this. I made a similar list at the beginning of 2019 and the mindset really helped me to have realistic expectations, and set some goals. Luna is about a year older than Hero and I can safely say that even though I've not achieved the training goals I set at the beginning of 2019, I definitely know her a lot better than I did a year ago.

I have absolutely no doubt that she is capable of learning the "stuff", but what I've needed to work out is how to create the right environment for her to learn. I'm definitely starting to get the hang of this. Like you, for us this means short bite sized sessions (no longer than 5 or 10 minutes), working with distractions and her ability to cope with her emotions, and being really analytical about what we're doing so that I can change things up when they inevitably don't work.

The one I'm definitely still working on is number 9 on your list :) An off lead puppy caught us off guard the other day when we were walking through a kissing gate. It came bounding over to us. I had Luna on a long line at the time for exactly this sort of thing, but it did mean that as she ran toward the puppy she succeeded in trapping me in the kissing gate with the lead. It stopped her from getting to the puppy but I felt like a right prat :) especially when the little puppy then just obediently trotted over to his mum when she called him. I felt like a total failure in that split second. Yes, definitely need to stay calmer!!

mummyp85 likes this.