Hi all anyone help with diagnosing brred?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Tim&poppy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Tim&poppy

Tim&poppy Registered Users

Hi all, I wandered if there was anyone who could help diagnosing my breed of lab.

I'm now on my second lab after loosing my first to cancer July last year. He was sold to us as a Lab cross from the Dogs Trust. We always thought he was crossed with a staffy due to his stockyness.

Couple of weeks after loosing Seth I revisited the Dogs Trust and met Poppy. On doing so I knew I had to have her.

Again Poppy was sold to us as a cross breed, which we thought as a lurcher as she's slim, her tummy arches up towards her rear legs and has lots of energy.

However I bumped into someone who said she could be a Field Lab?

Is there anyone with experience of Field Labs who can help?

I've tried to upload pics, but says I'm not authorised. I can email them if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

A picture would be good. My Chepi is a field line and she is fairly slim. Her tum shapes beautifully up and she has a lot of run in her. But even within the 2 basic types of lab, especially field, I think different breeders produce what they want so you will still find slightly different body shapes.
    Put photos onto Flickr then you'll find guidance in our tech area about how to share on a post. It's not hard really and we would love to see some photos.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the forum,

Photos would definitely help. A lot of field Labs do have a houndy look about them, but even so, I'd be surprised to have one mistaken for a lurcher - but lurcher is a cross breed, I understand (a sight hound crossed with something else), and do vary an awful lot.

4. Tim&poppy

Thanks for your replies, I'll try and link to my photobucket account:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic's not that great, but hope it shows how her chest arcs back under her rear legs.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    If you said she was all lab we wouldn't have challenged you I don't think.
    mine is slim, but my sister in law has a full pedigree lab with similar looks to yours.
    jac

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

She looks like a Labrador, or at least more Labrador than anything else. She does not look much like a sighthound to me.

In the final photo, her tummy doesn't look to tuck up any more than on lots of Labradors that are slim. On the first photo, she does look very, very slim behind her rib cage. It is possible that she is a bit too slim, or lacking quite a lot of muscle (which you can fix, of course). Your vet would be able to advise on that.

Possibly you are right and she has a bit of a hound breed in her, I wouldn't put money on it though. Just as likely a Labrador I reckon. You'll probably never know - and it doesn't matter much, anyway.

She looks like a lovely girl, and I wish you many happy years together.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

This is my lilly

[​IMG]

8. Tim&poppy

Thankyou all for your help. She looks very much like Lilly above.

It's just that when people think of a Lab they think of a dog that's quite chunky and square in build.

9. Tim&poppy

Thankyou all for your help. It has cleared things up. She looks very much like Lilly above.

When people think of a Lab they think of a fairly large squareish chunky breed.

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,Sorry to hear about the loss of your old boy Seth.Poppy is really lovely,beautiful ears.Her shape is exactly the same as my fellow's in the last pic,he is full field line,but I've been asked so many times what he is crossed with ! I think a lot of people have the impression that labs are only labs if they are chunky and stocky ....and sadly I think this is a big reason you see so many overweight labs.
    She looks happy and like she's fitted into your family ver well,
    Welcome to the Forum
    Angela x

11. Jane Martin

Just wrote a reply and accidentally deleted. Grr.
    Yes, Poppy looks Labrador but a bit underweight in the first photo.
    Like Angela I have had lots of people ask what breed Chepi is (one yesterday) and a few comments on her being skinny or very slim.
    You can get a DNA test if you really want a clear answer but I have no idea how much that would cost. I would be tempted.
    Anyway, welcome to the forum. It would be nice to hear more about Poppy.

12. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I have Field Labrador and I know she's a pure bred because I have her papers. She too is very slim and athletic. I am sometimes asked what she is.

I think that there is a preponderance of Show Labs, so many people do not recognise a field Lab.

Sad to say there are an awful lot of fat Labs of both types waddling around.

13. Tim&poppy

Hi all, thankyou for your replies. The photo where she looks a bit skinny was taken soon after we got her home last year, so yes she was a bit underweight. However 1 year on I can assure everyone there's no more rib cage present.

Problem with dogs homes is they feed them, but nothing more, no treats or snacks through they day.

As poppy was new in, it's likely she had been found on the street scavenging, so would've lost alot that way.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there Tim and Poppy, welcome from me and my Poppy, who is also quite slim (especially now she's been on a diet!), and 100% working labrador:

[​IMG]

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Welcome from me too . Your Poppy is very pretty ,looks to me like working bred Labrador . My four year old lad is pure working bred, he is leggy and slim , very athletic too but weighs 38 kilos without any spare fat , they do vary greatly x

16. Tim&poppy

Thanks for all your replies. Here's a couple of other pics of Poppy doing what she likes best ☺

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jane Martin

18. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

just wanted to say, she's gorgeous whatever mix she does/doesn't have

19. mcatalao

mcatalao Registered Users

Very beautiful!

If i were in your shoes, i wouldn't care! She's a very beautiful dog, doesn't matter if a cross or a pure Lab! Love her and she'll love you back!

20. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Looks quite like my beast! Fit, trim and ready to run! Welcome Tim and Poppy!