Hi everyone, I'm Sooty :-)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Sooty, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Sooty

Sooty Registered Users

Hi all

My name's Sooty, and I live in Exeter where it's taking me AGES to teach my new family when they should be clicker training me and how to do it properly so we can get on with the fun stuff like chasing a ball into the water!

Still, they FINALLY managed it tonight, I trained them how to give me a treat for laying down ;)

I hope you all like my typing, it took me YONKS to learn cos I've got really clumsy paws!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Hi everyone, I'm Sooty :)

Welcome Sooty from me Helen, Hattie 6 years and our rescue Charlie almost 3 years. Owners can be just as hard to train ;)
    Well done with learning to lay down for a treat, there will no stopping the humans now ;)

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi sooty, well done, welcome from me and jasper 10 moth old black lab, :)
    nduisidfhaosigr nmvpkpoka jasper as a long way to go with the typing ;D

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Sooty!
    Make sure you get the Pawrents to do loads of training - I hear Roast Chicken is the BESTEST thing for helping them get it right ;)

Lilly is 3 and a half and says we are still a work in progress.....

jac

5. Emma

Emma Registered Users

Hi Sooty,
    My mummy is hard to train too...she will get it right with practice ;)
    Lovely to meet you,

Love Charlie (8weeks chocolate lab) plus mummy Emma x

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Sooty and welcome!

Definitely insist on roast chicken. You can train them to work harder and harder to find you better and better treats if you feign a bit of indifference during their so-called 'training' sessions. The humans will, in a desperate bid to get your attention, spend a fortune on finding the exact treats that you like the best.

7. Sooty

Sooty Registered Users

Ah, thank you all for the advice, my weakness is that I can't refuse ANYTHING :-\ The other day I led dad a real song and dance by eating 7 uncooked dumplings waiting to go in a stew, a 500g bag of muesli (would have been nicer with milk) and the bacon sarnie he left on his knee just for me. He lost it a bit at the sarnie and I was banished to the garden, which I don't mind at all as I can listen to the kids next door playing footie and dream of sinking my sharp teeth into their lovely soft football and hearing that satisfying hiss of air which means he has to go and buy the kids another football. Tee hee.

8. Oberon

Sooty, don't feel ashamed about your inability to resist any foodstuff (.....and possibly also a lot of things that are not actually foodstuffs....according to humans, but what would they know...). You are a normal, healthy dog and you deserve dumplings and bacon.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D ;D
    Thats a faie point - you do need to watcb your waistline though so be a bit picky with your between meal snacks ;)

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome! How old is Sooty? A black lab?? Photos please!

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Welcome Sooty and parents :)
    Have you got a pic you could show us?
    Harley (13 week old red fox lab) :D

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi Sooty!

Simba here (chocolate labX)....anything they leave within reach is fair game, so no worries. Welcome here from me and my owner Lisa.

13. Sooty

Sooty Registered Users

Awww, soz, my tiny labrador brain can't work out how to insert images! I live with mum, Emma, she's in charge when I'm away, Marvin , aka "Dad" who thinks he's in charge tho he isn't, and Phoebe who is 12 and has them both running around tidying up after her when they aren't looking after my every need ;).

Dad says does anyone know how to stop me barking when he's getting ready to take me for a walk?

Sootster xxx

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Sooty and family,sounds like a right hoot in your house
    Welcome to the forum from Angela and Dexter
    I have done a lot of work on barking limitation ( although I'm wondering why the week I'm having :-[) it was never to prevent him barking ,only to keep it from turning onto a barking frenzy.we used a clicker in set up situations that make dexter bark....doorbell ringing ,people walking round the side of the house.he got a c&t for the pause between barks and I eventually added a hand signal...fingers on lips and said 'quiet' .dexter is our first dog though so I don't know if this is right,its worked fairly well for is ,if you are comfortable using a clicker it might be worth giving it a try?

15. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :)

Identify the 'going out for a walk' sequence of events.

Eg
    Taking car keys from shelf
    Removing lead from hook
    Attaching lead to collar
    Walking towards front door
    Opening the front door

Now identify which parts of the sequence are the trigger for barking. This is usually one of the first two. It might be 'putting a coat on' or even saying 'time for a walk'

Now make every subsequent part of the sequence contingent upon quiet.

So, if your dog starts to bark when you pick up your keys, do NOT under any circumstances get his lead down. Wait for him to stop barking. Then get the lead down. If he starts barking again, don't attach the lead, wait for him to stop. And so on

This takes time and patience. The first session may take you an HOUR or more to get out of the door, but each subsequent session will be faster.

This is something to start when you have at least three hours of time set aside. It works beautifully if you stick to the rules. There is an article coming out on this subject on 11th November. Have fun training! :)

16. Susan Jay

Susan Jay Registered Users

Hi Sooty. Remember not to be obedient for measly treats - they want more, they pay in chicken or cheese! Sooty is the leader of the pack not these human. Keep us posted, Coco and Rosie, the black labs in command.

17. Sooty

Sooty Registered Users

Hi Pippa,

thanks, I feared you may suggest that. Isnt there a magic cure ??? I think we're in for a noisy morning :-\

Marv.

18. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Marv, the noise will be worse to begin with! He will 'up the ante' when he discovers you are not playing the game :). You can do this :)

19. Sooty

Sooty Registered Users

Yes, I suspect the increased barking before walks is connected to us training him to walk to heel (largely unsuccessful), wait at kerbs, and generally get in the way of his running amok and having fun. It's causing considerable upset in the smooth running of this little house, we've rather let a genie out of the bottle :-\

20. Oberon

Stay strong and outlast him. It will work if you don't give in :)