Hi from Down Under

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by SueNZ, Aug 16, 2015.

1. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

Just found this site with a wealth of information for Labrador Lovers! I've been an avid Labarador keeper for over 50 years and have just got my sixth Lab after to coming to NZ from UK over 45 years ago. Having had 2 unregistered yellow dogs to start with in '68 and '80,I then got a NZKC registered black bitch, Abby, bred from mainly English bloodlines in 1989. In 1992 a NZKC registered yellow from mainly Australian bloodlines, Gemma lived until she was a month off her 16th birthday. Grace my NZKC chocolate girl, now over 12yrs arrived in 2003 and together we enjoyed a bit of Obedience and some Paws'n Music moves for a few years. This year I was delighted to have Peri, a special yellow girl, bred from AKC parents in NZ, join our family, she is now 9 months old. Ahh, those first puppy months again! I look forward to our journey together as we are already working our way through the Obedience grades.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi from me and Obi :) We're across the ditch in Canberra.

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi from an Aussie now in the UK. I wonder if you are the first to join from NZ? You sound very experienced. How are your IT skills? Can you guess what's coming? Any chance of a photo of your pup? Welcome!

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome from me and Juno in Normandy, France. As Jane says, looking forward to some photos but you have to use a site like Flickr or Photobucket to upload. Plenty of advice around if you need help on the technical side - sounds as if you're an experienced puppy owner and trainer :)

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum from Fred (black lab) and me. Glad you have join us at the great site.:)

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi Sue, and welcome! 50 years of labs! Wonderful...:)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello from Charlie (2.5yr old choccie boy) and me - we are in London (and sometimes Cornwall) in the UK.

8. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

Thanks for the welcome folks! Surely there must be more NZ members, there are a few of us here-and lots of Labradors. I get a message saying I am not authorised to post attachments when I link to my photos?

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't think we have anyone else from NZ...I can't think of any, anyway. So you are extra welcome for being our first! :):)

Do add yourself to our map.....https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=zgQiS9cKPcNk.kjQDvs0NIL7s

You can't attach your photos - that doesn't work. You need to host your photos on a site like flickr and then post the links. More info in technical help.

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Hi welcome from me and 8 month old Mabel in Coventry, England. I have brothers in Karponga on North Island and Dunedin on South. When I'm over next I'll come and say hi.

11. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

Hi Pilatelover, I'm also in the North Island, near Levin, which is 90km north of Wellington. My photos are in photobucket but still not fathomed out how to load them here. I've added a dot to the map-but still no luck with photos. Peri is on my avatar, pictured at 8 months old.

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly in Scotland.
    Check out Technical and help section. Unless you are on an ipad which might be different, if you copy the IMG code of the photo in photobucket and paste it directly here I think it works.
    Or is it the BBC code in photobucket......? Best check out the tech post lol..

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello Sue and Pen. Welcome! I am on Cape Cod in the United States. Cooper (17 month old yellow) and I joined this wonderful Forum in March of 2014....just before I got my beautiful boy.....it has been invaluable to me (the Forum and all those that write and answer in the Forum). You have 50 years of experience with Labs....Cooper is my FIRST dog and I am in my late 70's.....so it has been a real trip!

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello from Dexter, our 3 year old lab, and I.My Husband and I are originally from the UK but have been in Dubai for 19 years...Dexter is our first dog.you must have so many stories and experiences with all those years of Labs ,welcome to The Labrador Site and Forum x

15. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

Peri at 3 months old
    [​IMG][/URL]

16. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

I think it worked-just needed those magic brackets! Hello Yvonne and Cooper! Believe it or not I have been to Cape Cod, well passed through on a coach tour from New York to Boston to catch a cruise to Montreal. Stayed a night at Hyannis. I must say I wondered about getting another pup at my age (only late sixties compared to you) Was a bit fearful I would trip over her and break something but now she is bigger it is an effort to hold an excitined pup at Obedience classes-so may invest in a no-pull harness which I have been reading up about on this site. Lots of stuff on here-you can always learn something new. By the way my Labradors are just companions-we have a 50 acre farm breeding stud beef cattle-and the dogs are good company!
    [​IMG][/URL]

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well done! What lovely dogs and looks like a lovely place there!

Is Peri yellow x chocolate?

18. SueNZ

SueNZ Registered Users

Actually Peri is a Champagne.
    I know, slightly controversial, but a Labrador is a Labrador in my eyes, whatever the colour! Her mother is charcoal and her father is silver. The parents have all the health tests and more than my other (registered!) Labs parents ever had!
    Her breeder came recommended to me by my vet when I took Grace in for her annual check up and vaccinations last July. I wasn't looking for any particular colour, just a well reared bitch pup. She has a hugely responsible attitude to breeding and placing her puppies and Peri came, from a litter of 10, virtually house trained and used to sleeping alone at 8 weeks old. She is a smart cookie and easy to train, and though I say it myself, is much further advanced at Obedience than nearly all the collies and German Shepherds of the same age or older in our class that started our obedience training together back when she was 5 months old! I think it is those eyes! She looks me right in the eye and asks "what next?"

19. Oberon

So she is a dilute Yellow...? I guess 'charcoal' is dilute Black (and as we know 'silver') is dilute Chocolate). I had wondered how long it'd take before we saw dilutes in colours other than Chocolate - it is a natural progression for breeders interested in the 'silver' colour. How does 'charcoal' look - is it kind of a smoky grey or blue colour? That's how the dilute gene should affect Black as I understand it. Gonna do some googling :) I breed ducks that have a dilute factor (they are blue, which is technically grey as it's a dilute black) so I'm interested in how it works in dogs.

Your place looks beautiful. Must get to NZ one day.

20. Oberon

Ok, so after having done some reading, yes 'charcoal' is dilute Black (would be known as 'blue' in some other breeds) while 'champagne' is dilute Yellow.

When I saw the pic of Peri as a puppy I wondered if she may be dilute Yellow with a Black base as she had darker pigment round her eyes and lips/nose than you'd see in a Yellow with a Chocolate base (known as a 'Dudley').

For the record I am open minded about introducing new colours in established breeds so please don't take my interest in this as an indication of opposition :) I'm just interested in colour genetics and their expression.