Hi from Kent

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Bob, May 11, 2012.

1. Bob

Bob Registered Users

Hi
    We have 2 chocolate Labradors, one nearly 9 and on 2. They are both Canine Concern registered visiting therapy dogs and they currently visit in local hospitals 3 days a week. They really enjoy the visiting.
    They are both off to The London Pet Show tomorrow where they will be taking part in the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dos Scheme demonstration and also Jump with Rufus
    Really looking forward to the Total Recall book which I have pre-ordered from Amazon !!
    This site has some very useful information
    Bob

2. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Re: Hi from Kent

Hi Bob

welcome to the forum - please show us pics of your dogs! my boy Barney is a registered Pets as Therapy visitor - hadn't heard of canine concern - off to look them up now...

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Bob and welcome :D

Enjoy the London Pet Show tomorrow, it would be interesting to hear how you get on. And thanks very much for ordering the book. I hope you like it.

Pippa

4. Bob

Bob Registered Users

Hi Caroleb
    Katie was previously with Pets As Therapy (you missed the capital A off As :-o !! ) and my wife and I were Local Area Coordinators and Temperament Assessors. We found that they became too prescriptive. Canine Concern is much smaller and everyone including the organisers are volunteers - no paid staff. More to the point they are more welcoming and friendly. We are also able to work to the rules of the establishments that we visit and, for instance, work the dogs off lead in the mental health wards. We have been doing this for some time now and cover 10 wards in the main hospital including stroke, children's, cardiac and elderly. We also cover intensive care on the occasions that a patient would benefit from a visit and carry out dog phobia desensitisation sessions in conjunction with clinical psychologists. We love the work :) and so do the dogs although we have to watch their weight because of the treats. We also do talks to local groups about therapy dogs.
    How do we upload pictures?

5. Bob

Bob Registered Users

Hello Pippa
    Katie is an old hand at GCDS demonstrations having been at Crufts, Discover Dogs, Paws in the Park etc. We're just starting on the routine to this year's shows to "March of the Mods". Katie won the best rescue at Discover Dogs Companion Dos Show in 2010 and is quite happy with the crowds. A first this year is the fact that there are cats etc as it is a Pet Show and not a dog show - should be interesting :)
    Cookie came from a breeder and is a different kettle of fish - just why I need the Total Recall book ! Fantastic dog who enjoys her therapy visiting although she spends much of the time on her back having her tummy tickled. She came into the hospital from 12 weeks in a dog rucksack on my back till the straps broke. She has passed her silver GCDSA and is struggling a bit with her gold only because of her exuberance and my letting her get away with things :(

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hi Bob

there's some instructions on photos in the technical and help section. I found it easiest to have a photobucket account which has come in handy for other things too.

interesting re Canine Concern I must admit I'd love Barney to be able to be natural off lead in the care home - I get around it by having quite a long lead so he can say hello without me being on top of the person too.

7. Rocketman

Rocketman Lab Technician Forum Supporter

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forums. My Rocket is a choc and I'm rapidly beginning to think they are the way forward!

8. Bob

Bob Registered Users

We so enjoyed the London Pet Show today that we're off again tomorrow to do the GCDS demonstration and Jump with Rufus
    [​IMG]

9. David

David Registered Users

Hi Bob. Hello from me too. Lady is 2yrs and 8 months now. Black with a white medallion (except whe she's mud coloured with a white medallion in the winter, or yellow with a white medallion when the Rape is in flower).

10. pippa@labforumHQ

Have a great day, and hope all goes well :D

11. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Bob and welcome. Your dogs sound so busy, it makes me feel mine is quite lazy!

Looking forward to some pics. :eek:)

Sam

12. Bob

Bob Registered Users

Re: Hi from Kent some photos hopefully !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. pippa@labforumHQ

Beautiful dogs! Thank you for sharing :D

14. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Lovely pics. The white front paws are very cute!

15. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

lovely pics - they both look quite ready to do mischief in the bottom one ;D