hi from sunny Essex!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by star78, Jul 27, 2013.

1. star78

star78 Registered Users

Hi
    I have been having a good read of all the information and some of the posts and thought it was about time I registered and said hello!
    I am Keely, married to Kev and have a little boy who is autistic called Thomas. We have just got a gorgeous little yellow lab with a bit of fox red in him, we have called him Freddie. He is 12 weeks on Monday and is settling in really well after just a week of being here.

Hope to get to know you all and hear from some people in Essex too, maybe we could meet up for walkies!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: hi from sunny Essex!

Hi Keely,lovely to see you on here,welcome from Dexter and I,he's a 10 month old yellow and we live in Dubai.Glad to hear that Freddie has settled into your home well.Hope your little boy is enjoying him .
    Best wishes
    Angela

3. star78

star78 Registered Users

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from Poppy and me to you, Freddie and your lovely little boy! :) Dogs and children - what could be better???

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello and a warm welcome from me and two year old black Lab boy Sam , lovely photos , love to see children with puppies , a wonderful experience for both :)

6. star78

star78 Registered Users

;D dogs n disabled kids, my 2 soft spots in life!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello from me, Julie, and Charlie my 5 month old chocolate lab. Welcome and hope you and your family enjoy your lovely new puppy.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Keely
    What a gorgeous picture of your two boys (and Kev's legs ;D)
    Welcome from me an 3 year old black lab lilly.

Jac

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome from us too :) Barbara and Riley (2 year old black lab)

Love your pictures, how old is Thomas?

10. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Welcome Keely! And thanks for sharing your lovely photos :D

11. star78

star78 Registered Users

Thank you all for your lovely warm welcome.
    Thomas has just turned 6 and was brought up with a springer spaniel cross who he adored. Merlin sadly passed away at the end of the year and I went from never wanting another dog again as no one could replace Merlin to desperately wanting a lab.

We couldn't rescue this time as Thomas needs a doggy who is used to his behaviours and we also have 2 cats, a parrot and 2 degus so wanted a pup to grow up knowing they weren't lunch ;D

Freddie is currently driving me crazy, its supposed to be my night of me time and chilling out, but I have hardly sat down as he is constantly chewing something he shouldn't be arghhh

12. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Hi Keely from me and Murphy my 10 week old lab who looks just like your Freddie!

Iv just shut Murphy in his crate as he was going a bit crazy and I think he needed a snooze. I totally agree how annoying they can be! This time yesterday I wanted to kill him lol, it's funny how depending on your mood you don't mind things as much.

Have fun!

13. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi warm welcome to all your large family , from me and my boy black lab 7 month jasper :) beautiful photos :)

14. star78

star78 Registered Users

thank you for your lovely comments. I wish I could crate Freddie but he just howls so bad and I'm worried the neighbours will complain. It literally is ear splitting!!
    I tried Pippas technique after reading her article and its still a no go :(

15. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Murphy started by howling whenever he was left in his crate so I'd shut him in put some treats through and then hang around in the kitchen talking to him when he was quiet. I would then walk just round the corner and back straightaway which I think is something Pippa suggests. At one point I felt like I could never leave him and that I had to wait for him to go to sleep before I could go anywhere (like having a shower in the morning!) because everytime I shut him in his crate he would make so much noise! But it has got so much better almost without me noticing!

I don't know if you are having problems with him at night in his crate, but to start with I would sit by his crate with the door shut until he was asleep and then sneak away! We also have the radio on a chatty station quite loud for him which seems to have helped. We also bought adaptil which is a room diffuser which is meant to chill them out and that also seems to have helped with him, he now only barks in his crate when he needs the loo.

Hope this is kind of helpful! X

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Keely and welcome from us Hattie nearly 6 years and Charlie 2 1/2 years. I have a son with High Functioning Autisim, so that's another thing we have in common. Enjoy the forum you will get lots of help and support but above all humour. Freddie is gorgeous. Helen x

17. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Freddie is just a little sweetie and those photos of him with Thomas are lovely :)

Freddie has the same colour as my dog, Obi - pale yellow with toffee coloured ears :)

Welcome to the forum!

18. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Keely,

Which article are you working from? I will see if I can help

Pippa

19. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

Hi Keely!

What a gorgeous dog you have. He looks really comfortable around your son. So cute!

I know how you feel about the chewing. Our pup Dexter is 11 weeks today. He's teething like crazy!! Have you got a Kong to stuff treats into? Or ice cubes? Dexter loves ice cubes. They help his gums and I think he thinks they're edible stones with the clanging noise.

20. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Welcome from Amy a 6 month old yellow lab, and two human boys aged 5 and 7 and of course me! We had after months of talks decided against getting a puppy. But my 7 year old ( who is very very shy and has no confidence) was so up set we decided to go for it. And it has really helped him.