Hi I'm new and have some questions already! :)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by LucyinCornwall, Dec 8, 2014.

1. LucyinCornwall

LucyinCornwall Registered Users

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself, say a little about how I came to be here and then ask some questions.... I hope it's in the right board!!

I'm Lucy, I'm 27 and married with a 3 year old son, and we live in Cornwall, UK!

Myself and my husband have always been dog lovers. My husband had dogs whilst growing up and I would have if my parents had a bigger house and weren't working full time!

We've decided that next year (from late June onwards) we would like to add a Labrador puppy into our family!
    We have a lovely big (not huge) house with good-sized gardens, some amazing beaches, walks, woods around us, and I stay at home looking after my son while my husband works not far away.

Our son is very used to dogs, with family having dogs and Cornwall seems to be dog nation! Our neighbours and friends have dogs of different types and sizes, and right from the beginning we have always talked to him about how we should act around dogs/animals, how we should keep calm, we should let them come to us and smell us before stroking any animal... so on and so forth.
    We know it won't be easy, we know he'll get excited and we'll be constantly there and supervising him with the puppy at all times, involving him in the training etc but we feel the time is right and we are very much looking forward to it.

I came across this website by typing in information about Labradors into google. I'd been to a few websites before that didn't sit right with me (harsh training methods), and immediately felt like I was at home with this website.
    I've read through nearly all articles, and Pippa's books are on my amazon wishlist... I can't wait to read them!
    I'm very thankful this site is available and the forum looks a brilliant source of help and information too!

I have a few questions about puppies and I will post them here, but if I don't get much response, which is understandable in an introduction post, then I'll post them in the puppy board too!!

When training our puppy, does the puppy need to have one person doing this, so they don't get confused, or can myself and my husband train him/her? My husband and I are very much on the same wavelength in regards to puppy training, and we will both be reading Pippa's books before hand and will be very consistent with the methods.

We would like to get chickens at some point, but I've heard it's not a good idea and that the puppy would have to be supervised at all times when out with the chickens, I just wondered if it's best to leave chickens for a while?

We would like to have our puppy on the sofa, and are very happy with that but I'm wondering how we can make it so that they know that being on the sofa at ours is okay, but other people's houses they may not like it... would they get confused? Is there a way both can work?

Will we need kitchen cupboard locks on when we get our puppy? We already make sure cleaning chemicals and those things are out of reach of our son anyway.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on bringing our son along with us to meet the puppy before bringing him/her home?
    I would rather talk to our son about it lots before bringing our puppy home and then he meet the puppy when he's calm at home, whereas my husband thinks our son coming along the 2nd or 3rd time we see the puppy is a good idea (I'm worried he may get excited with other puppies there?)

We are thinking of getting the Ellie-bo dog puppy crate for our car and I was just wondering how we secure it in the car... do we get special leads/ropes to secure it?

Sorry it's so long and many questions!! I hope this post is okay!

Lucy :)

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Hi I'm new and have some questions already! :)

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Gypsy!

Exciting preparation times ahead ;D

I will answer the sofa question.

They soon learn the rules. My Tatze (Black Lab 19 months old) is allowed on my sofa at home but none of the other furniture - and then only when I am on it.

She stays at my friend's house for holidays and is not allowed on furniture there.

Gypsy (Guide Dog Puppy 6 months old) is allowed on no furniture anywhere, but she sees Tatze on my sofa every evening - Gypsy has a bed next to me.

Both are absolutely fine with these differing rules. So long as you are consistent with what the dog is allowed all will be fine :)

Here are my two -

[​IMG]

3. LucyinCornwall

Hi Mags, Tatze and Gypsy!! :D

Definitely!!!! Very excited!! ;D

Thanks so much, that's really helpful!!! I'm so glad that it can be done and like you said, as long as we are consistant it should be absolutely fine!!!

Oh my what beauties!!! Gorgeous colours!! Thank you for sharing a photo, I forgot to add that in my post, I'm more than happy to be spammed with photos!!! ;)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum! You'll get loads of advice here from lots of very experienced people - it's great!

My two came from a place with chickens. The chickens were in a large run and the dogs were kept separate. One time the bitch managed to get a chicken and she didn't "kill it" per se, but held it in her mouth and it must have died from shock, so it's definitely important to keep them apart from the dog! Having said that, the puppies weren't all that interested in them even when they managed to break into the enclosure. They just wanted a sniff. I also know someone with a beagle and lots of ducks and chickens that co-exist in the garden with no issues. She's a very lazy dog, though! BUT, a new puppy AND a three-year-old..... I think you'd have enough on your hands already and would be best to wait until you've gotten used to that before adding yet another complication!

Training - I do all the training of ours except for a few very basic things, such as being gentle when taking treats which DH joins in with. I think doing it together wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but you MUST be absolutely consistent, otherwise the pup will just become confused and frustrated. I'd recommend doing training sessions together to start off with until you get into a flow with each other, before doing it separately if you're both planning on training the puppy.

Our two haven't tried to open the kitchen cupboards ever, even the one with their food in. However, they're never out unsupervised; I work from home so am here most of the time, but if I can't supervise them, I pop them in their crate.

It's good that your son is already used to dogs, but just be aware that puppies do bite - hard and a lot! I was shocked when Willow went through that phase and it lasts a few weeks, so you have to be really careful that your son doesn't get hurt and scared by the puppy. Only let them interact when both are very calm. As for him going to see the young puppy, I think that's a call you have to make yourselves. It depends on just how excited he's going to get and that's difficult to say without knowing him. You don't want him to be so much of a distraction that all your attention is on him and you don't get to see the puppy enough - or ask the breeder the questions you need to. But, if you think he can be calm and controlled then I think it would be lovely for him to see the pup when it's young. Be prepared for him asking every single day whether it's puppy day, though ;)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

And since you said you were happy to be spammed, here's my two. I really must get a decent picture of them together!

Willow:
    [img width=500]http://i.imgur.com/sD97qbe.jpg[/img]

Shadow:
    [img width=500]http://i.imgur.com/UrXCIGo.jpg[/img]

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, welcome to the forum from me and my hooligan chocolate boy of 21 months.

I'll answer your question about different people training. Everyone who interacts with your puppy will be training him - in that he'll learn from everyone. But, it is definitely the case that if everyone who trains him is consistent, he will learn faster. It's also the case that they are capable of learning different cues used by different people, and learn to act differently with different people.

For example, Charlie walks ahead of my OH who only asks for "no pulling". He walks at the side of me because that's what I reward. There is no doubt that if we had both asked for the same thing, Charlie would have learned quicker, but he did learn the different things we ask for.

It's also the case that the person who does the most training (that's me in our house) has more control when out and about, and the dog looks to that person first. But my OH has good control without me - he has had to do his own training though, it's not the case that Charlie will respond to his recall just because he responds to mine, for example.

I have child locks on all my kitchen cabinets. Don't forget to lock up the batteries too. ::)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Lucy - welcome to the forum!
    It is a fabulous source of support and information.
    Puppy excitement mounting already ;D

Lilly is my first dog (OH had one in his teenage years so his second) and she is now 4 and a halfish.
    She generally isn't allowed on the sofa, but if "her blanket" is on the sofa then that is permission to hop up. She isn't a sofa hog though - loves her beanbag - or OUR bed, which constantly has her blanket on ::)

I think the answer to the training is very much the same as training kids - as long as you all know the rules, understand them, and follow them, then all should be good!

Since you invited us to spam you.......

[​IMG]

jac

7. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Yes, this is a very freindly forum and Pippa's articles are so useful.

OH and I split the training between us. The important thing is that we are consistent. We use the same commands, and aim for the same level of response. The only difference between us is that I tend to do longer off lead walks so I use a whistle as well as "come". If you're both consistent with training I can't see a reason why you couldn't both train the pup.

I'll reinforce Snowbunnys comments that Lab puppies bite. On this forum someone coined the term "crocadog" and they're right. For a while they have little needle teeth and, until thought otherwise, can nip and draw blood. It's not malice, it's just that they don't know better.

We put baby locks on the cupboards, but at two years old Holly is very good. We can leave food out, or a cupboard open, and she ignores it. Other owners report that their dogs will clear a kitche bench if left unattended. My advice is to put baby locks on cupboards because you can always remove them later.

Living near lots of countryside and beaches is almost ideal for a Lab. They love water.

I think it would be good to take your son to meet the litter, but speak to the breeder first. And do, please, let us know how you get on.

8. LucyinCornwall

Hi Snowbunny,

Thank you!!

That's really good to know about the chickens!!! Makes a lot of sense too! I think we'll hold off on the chickens for quite a while, like you said, I think we'll be fine with a puppy (and a 3 year old lol) for now!! :p

Thank you, really helpful advice!! That's great they haven't gone into their cupboards, but yes being supervised definitely helps and makes a lot of sense!

Thank you, I've read a lot about puppies biting and yes I will definitely be helping the puppy and our son through that stage! Yes it's so very important that they are both calm when they interact, that they have their own spaces and are left alone when they need to be :)
    Yes definitely, that's the other thing.. I don't want to focus too much on our son when visiting the puppy and needing to ask those important questions to the breeder, so I think we'll see nearer the time!!
    Hehehe definitely! Currently he keeps asking if it's Christmas day yet :p

Thank you, I will do!!

Aww wonderful photos!! Absolutely love their names too!! Thanks so much!

Hi JulieT,

Thank you!! Hehe hooligan ;)

Yes that's very true that he will be learning from everyone! That's really interesting about them acting differently to different people too!
    Thank you for saying about recall too, I did wonder if our puppy would recall to my husband like he/she would to myself, so that's very interesting!

Hehehe!! Thanks for the tip about the batteries.... ;)

Hi Jac,

;D

That's a good idea about them having a blanket, makes it easier too when at other people's houses!
    Awww love her!!

Yes that makes a lot of sense!!

Thank you!!

Lilly is beautiful!!! Those eyes!!! :heart:

Hi Hollysdad,

That's great, very helpful to know!! I do think consistency is they key.

Thank you, yes I agree, they're just learning!

That's really good that you used cupboard locks but she is absolutely fine now when a cupboard it open or food is left out!!
    Yes I expect dogs can be very different in their nature!! Thank you!

I can't wait to take my pup on the beach for the first time. We were walking along a beach in St Ives at the weekend and a pup went right up to my son and knocked him flying by jumping on him, it was his first time on the beach at 4 months! I've also read about helping pups to like the water too!

Thank you, I will keep you all updated, probably on the puppy forum nearer the time! :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello there and welcome - how exciting, and how brilliant that you are already putting a lot of thought into your prospective puppy. :) Do you already have an idea where you are going to look for your pup, and what sort (show line or working line) you want? And have you got a preference for colour and whether you want a boy or a girl? So exciting!!

I saw a beautiful red female lab puppy today, made me want one immediately...

Here is my girl Poppy, looking very regal:

[​IMG]

10. LucyinCornwall

Hi Karen!!

Thank you!! We want to be as clued up as possible, although we know nothing can prepare for life with a puppy!!

Yes we've picked out a brilliant breeder we will contact nearer the time, and hope to go with them... we researched a fair bit and went onto the kennel club recommendations too. :)
    We're thinking a show lab but not really decided yet :-\
    We'd love a yellow lab, and maybe prefer a boy but to be honest it won't matter which colour or gender we fall in love with, I've heard they pick us :*
    So very exciting!!!!!!

Oh yes our friend has a red lab..... they are beauties!!!

Aww she is so beautiful and very regal!!! Wonderful photo!!!

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome from us too!

This is Riley, he's three and a half

[​IMG]

And our newest addition Obi spaniel who's 20 weeks old

[​IMG]

In between these two we managed to have a little girl who's now two and a half. The dogs are great with her and she with them but she's definitely found the puppy a bit nibbly. They are kept separate unless supervised and sometimes if she wants to play on the floor she'll ask me to put the dogs in the kitchen ;D

12. Boogie

One thing I have learned -

Anything you don't want the adult dog to do, don't let the puppy do. There is something about the things they enjoyed as pups that they simply adore as adults. But with 25 kilo+ bodies and teeth which can cut anything scissors can there are plenty of 'cute' things which are no longer so cute - but that they long to do as they remember the fun they had.

One of mine with Tatze was playing with her with the broom - such great fun with a tiny, lolloping pup. A total nightmare with 28Kg Tatze + big teeth - I get the broom out and she goes crazy, then the broom doesn't last 20 seconds. So much so I now have to put her in the crate to sweep up.

13. Boogie

Here is some spam to get your puppy squee going!

(Gypsy at 10 weeks - she is 50% Lab and 50% Golden Retriever. I know this isn't one of the 'in' crosses but 59% of Guide Dogs are Lab/GR crosses and they make wonderful dogs - the enthusiasm of a Lab and the steadiness of a GR :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to this gab forum from me and Maisie, 9 months! Loving all the puppy pics, don't they just make you get all puppy broody!! Here's a pic of Miss Maisie:

[​IMG]IMG_0377 by renalsdeb, on Flickr

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello there and welcome from me,I'm originally from the UK but have lived in Dubai for 18 years with my husband and our now 2 years old yellow boy Dexter.
    Gosh you have had loads of advice in your replies all ready.....you are going to be more than ready for your dog and you sound like this is something you have wanted for a long time.I made Chris wait 10 years for our dog ;D I do all the training and Chris does his best to undo it ;D ;D ;D No,I mean that tongue in cheek.....I have the time and the interest to do it but it's tricky staying consistent .....and Chris will use different words sometimes to what I've trained and then get impatient when he doesn't get the result he wants ::).
    Dex wasn't allowed on the couch until he was about 13 months and I just got fed up of sitting on the floor with him.....but I taught him 'off 'and 'wait' before he was taught ' hup hup '(which means it's ok to get up)and he has only ever been allowed up if his duvet is down on the couch...he would never just walk into the lounge and jump up on a couch unless his duvet is down.same for the bed....I'm a bit of a forum joke as he was NEVER coming in the bed ;D ;D ;D first he was only allowed up at weekends around the age of 18 months ...but it's gradually slid into every night now.....but again he has to wait at the bottom of the stairs until he is told he can come up and at the foot of the bed and be told 'hup hup' .....this isn't necessarily me being a fussy pants,I enjoy teaching him things and he's as quick as anything when the reward is something he really wants.i don't know how he would be in another persons house ( a nightmare possibly as he gets really excited still in new situations ??? But I think the grounding he has would help me regain control ;D)

Here he is not being allowed on the couch ;D ::)

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

Half on half off ;D

[​IMG]

Success,yes!

[​IMG]

It's fantastic you've found the Forum and Pippa's site and writing in this crucial preparation time...I didn't and I wish I had.
    Lovely to meet you
    Angela x

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 16 month old Harley :)
    Sounds like you have done a lot of research already :D
    Before we got Harley I said NOT on the sofa, NOT upstairs, NOT on the bed and no licking people.......I lasted 1 day ;D

[​IMG]
    DSC_1667 by ternayacummings, on Flickr

17. LucyinCornwall

Such lovely welcomes and brilliant replies!! Thank you!!

Hi bbrown!

Such beautiful dogs you have :heart: :heart: :heart:

That's brilliant that you have those 2 and a 2 and a half year old too!! ;D
    I love that she asks for them to be put in the kitchen while she plays on the floor - perfect!!

Thank you Boogie!!

Yes that's the thing, I may think it's cute as a puppy but it won't be for long!!! Bless Tatze!!!

Oh my word...... Gypsy.... those photos.... I can't cope!! :* Absolutely perfect!! She is beautiful and I could not be more puppy broody if I tried!!!

Hi Debs!

Thank you!!

Aww I love Maisie!!!! I find it incredible how much they grow in a few months!!!! She's beautiful!!!

Hi Angela!!

Thank you, I have had so many lovely replies!! :)

Hehehe I love that you do all the training and Chris does his best to undo it :p ;) A good team it sounds ;)

Hahaha sounds perfect!!! I love that he knows a lot of words to go by so he doesn't just jump up whenever!!
    Hehehehe brilliant!!! I love that he still needs to be told to come up the stairs too, sounds good to me!!

Hahaha fantastic photos!!! Especially love the last one full of victory!! ;D

Thank you Angela, lovely to meet you too!!

Hiya Naya,

Hahahaha perfect!!!!

Harley's gorgeous.... I love his colouring!!!

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome from me and Obi in Australia :)

Another 'not on the couch' shot:

[​IMG]

They can definitely learn that your couch is ok, but other people's are not.

We have numerous ducks and several chickens. We've had two Labradors, both of whom were trained to mingle freely and safely with the chickens and ducks. It takes a while though and involves gradual, calm exposure (on lead at first) with lots of treats for being still and quiet. Can definitely be done though :) A predator-proof enclosure for the chickens is essential (for protection from foxes) and that will be their safe haven from the doggie too.

I would have both of you involved in the training. My advice is to sit down together and work out the behaviours you want to train, the verbal cues you will use and the hand signals you will use. List them in a table and practise them without the dog. That's the best way to get consistency (and to avoid rows!!!) :)

19. LucyinCornwall

Hi Rachel and Obi!

Beautiful photo, how comfy he looks :heart:

Thank you for your reply, very helpful advice!!!

I love how they can be trained to be around other animals, but at first with a lead and treats. Completely agree about the chickens being in a safe enclosure from foxes and other animals!

Thank you that's a great idea to talk about it and go through it with each other before our puppy comes to live with us! I can imagine it saves many an argument!! :D

20. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Hi Lucy

My boyfriend and I have Inca who is now about 4.5 months old. She very much spends her time shared equally between both of us as our jobs are quite flexible. It's great because we have both been training her and at the moment she is just as responsive to both of us. I did some research before we got her on how we wanted to train her and then as Obi suggests we sat down together and agreed on what rules we would set and which commands we would use.

Inca generally gets one walk a day with each of us on her own but at weekends and when we are doing training in the house we watch each other so we can check we are still doing the same things and also it's easier to spot what the other has done wrong if things don't go according to plan!

One thing that has helped us is whistle training. I think Snowbunny's breeder did the same but Inca's breeder used 3 pips of the whistle to call the puppies when they got fed. We continued with this and we then introduced it for recall. The whistle is more consistent than verbal calls and so far it has never failed to work when we have been out on walks. We have also started using it for other commands.

Hope you are getting excited. Rob and I have families full of dogs but it's lovely to now have our own. So much fun :)