Hi

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Ber, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Ber

Ber Registered Users

Hi ,
    We got Henry three weeks ago now. He is a wonderful puppy and I can see he has loads of qualities that will make him a great family dog. I have three children aged 3,6 and 9. They are very gentle. I've always wanted a dog so it came as a shock when I was hit with Post Puppy Blues a week in. I was so relieved to read the piece on the website because I realized I was not the only one. My main anxiety is around interactions between my children and Henry. We are finding our way together but I can't say I'm feeling back to normal yet. I didn't get Post Partum with any of my human babies .
    The site and forum are a support. Thanks

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here and we're glad you found us :)

I'm sure you'll find lots of support and members who have had common experiences.

You might also find this article on our main site interesting - it's all about dogs and children :)

Good luck, and please come back and let us know how you get on!

3. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my pup Isla. I think most of us can relate to the puppy blues week ,mine went on for several weeks! Enjoy your pup

4. Ber

Ber Registered Users

Thanks for replying. I've read that article and it made alot of sense. I wish I had been even a small bit aware of puppy blues. I've never heard about them till it hit! Supervising all interactions between Henry and children - its exhausting but necessary.

5. Jade

Jade Registered Users

Welcome...

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Ber, puppies and kids can be a pretty demanding combination! Hang on in there and shout if there is anything we can help you with Hope you get chance to relax for a while over the weekend :)

7. Ber

Ber Registered Users

Hi - last time I posted I was in the throes of the puppy blues but thankfully I'm enjoying Henry now and he us I hope!

If anyone else is feeling the same way I was these are the things that helped:
    -this website; I put in place alot of the practical suggestions- the baby gate to divide the house, I can keep an eye on both children and puppy even if they're in separate areas,the lead on in the house, we hardly need to use it but it's great to have it when we do
    - I got a dog trainer for a home visit she was great, showed me how to teach Henry the Leave- It command and he is such a fast learner!
    - Got the Happy Puppy Handbook in the post and am speed reading it:)

Some people will not agree with me but I teach children and I've just realised how similar managing puppies' behaviour is to managing a child's! Another similarity is how important the early experiences of life are.